Thread: Odd question. Is it possible to make backtrack persistant from the usb drive it's run

Just burned his ISO

Default Odd question. Is it possible to make backtrack persistant from the usb drive it's run

ning on? Because it should be, and it's running in that mode, and yet it doesn't seem to be. I'm going to try again, but I have not a clue right now.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostfox1 View Post
    ning on? Because it should be, and it's running in that mode, and yet it doesn't seem to be. I'm going to try again, but I have not a clue right now.
    You'll need to partition it, just like the thousands of how-to posts, blogs, videos, and web sites say.

Just burned his ISO

I can't post links yet, but even if I could...I wouldn't. Jeez, did you even try the offensive-security site, which is the training site from the makers of BT? They have a video which basically spells each command out for you so you can have a persistent usb install. Not to mention a quick search on google for "backtrack persistent usb install" brings up some great tutorials.

There I pretty much gave you the links so you don't have to do any work.

Just burned his ISO

I should clarify. I am aware of the tutorials, and I used them. However it doesn't seem to be working correctly, which may just be something I didn't enter right.

Just burned his ISO

I would retry the install. Do a fresh format and fresh iso burn on the usb drive. Then follow the video tutorial step by step. I had mine working fine for a couple months using BT3 by following the exact steps in the video tutorial, then I switch to a hard drive install.
    Your issue is probably still not worth posting on here, because if it's not working then it's because you missed a step and that's what most people will tell you. If it was an issue with the tutorial then many more people would be having the same issue. I don't know the particulars of your system at all, since you didn't post those in your original post. You also didn't post any errors it's showing during bootup, or errors in loading any modules. You should check there first and really pay attention to any types of errors that show up.

1) Look for errors...
    2) Try fresh install...
    3) If it's still not functional, check for errors...
    4) Search forums and Google with your error messages in the search line...
    5) If all else fails, post any errors, system specs, etc in a post in this thread and I'm sure someone will be able to help you. People need information to be able to help, not just "It's not working but it should be why?" Tough to help when there's nothing to go on.

Just burned his ISO

I fixed that problem. I just had to re-do the install on the USB drive. Strange.

New problem. Apache is hanging at startup. Is there a way to get around that?

I fixed that problem. I just had to re-do the install on the USB drive. Strange.

New problem. Apache is hanging at startup. Is there a way to get around that?
    Mine does the same thing, I wouldn't worry about it.

Just burned his ISO

Well, I can't get around it. That's the problem. Boot-up ends there. It won't do anything else, unless it's timed, in which case there should be a way to reduce the time.

Well, I did go looking at the things listed on this site and others, and either I found the wrong file, or none of them is working. So is there a way(booting through backtrack on my usb drive) to edit the files on BT on my harddrive so apache won't start?