Thread: apt-get errors on two computers

Just burned his ISO

Default apt-get errors on two computers

Hey guys I am new to Backtrack 4 and just installed the Pre-release as a vmware image and also a persistent usb using the guide from this site. Everything is working really well and I'm starting to get the hang of the command line. I just have a couple issues:

1) Apt-get update errors out on every remote-exploit repository, it does this on every machine I have it installed on. Here is a copy of those errors:

Err hxxp://archive.offensive-security.com pwnsauce Release.gpg
    Could not resolve 'archive.offensive-security.com'

It shows this error for every repository

2) I cannot get my intel 5100agn card to inject packets on my WEP network. I checked and iwlagn drivers are already installed. I have googled and there is a lot of stuff about compiling a new kernel or something with some patched drivers. Anyone have a definitive guide as to how to go about this?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Sisith View Post
    Hey guys I am new to Backtrack 4 and just installed the Pre-release as a vmware image and also a persistent usb using the guide from this site. Everything is working really well and I'm starting to get the hang of the command line. I just have a couple issues:

1) Apt-get update errors out on every remote-exploit repository, it does this on every machine I have it installed on. Here is a copy of those errors:

Err hxxp://archive.offensive-security.com pwnsauce Release.gpg
    Could not resolve 'archive.offensive-security.com'

It shows this error for every repository

2) I cannot get my intel 5100agn card to inject packets on my WEP network. I checked and iwlagn drivers are already installed. I have googled and there is a lot of stuff about compiling a new kernel or something with some patched drivers. Anyone have a definitive guide as to how to go about this?

Thanks in advance for the help.
    #1 Do you actually have a functioning internet connection when you get these errors from Apt? e.g ping google.com returns positive results.

#2 Are you attempting packet injection on the VM or with the live boot?

If you are interested in building your own patched kernel there are a ton of easy to follow guides around. It's a million times easier now than it was in the past. There is even a fancy gui for it now. Grab one of the tutorials and replace whatever they're using for kernel headers and kernel source with the headers and source that you've downloaded from the BT4 repos.

Quote Originally Posted by Sisith View Post
    "n" cards aren't supported yet. The driver's are still under development, you should wait some more time. Check aircrack-ng site.

Just burned his ISO

Ok so I probably didn't have a functioning internet connection now that I think about it. I am so used to ubuntu and just typing the commands that I never thought to check that. I re-downloaded anyways and checked the hash and have a great running live boot now. I noticed that the guide for upgrading the kernal had the command "-force all". I put used "--force-all" and it seemed to work but was it supposed to be "--force all"?

--force-all