Thread: Asus eee 701 (4g) Wireless Card (wlan0)

Just burned his ISO

Default Asus eee 701 (4g) Wireless Card (wlan0)

Good evening. I hate to be a bother but after several long hours of researching the issue I have been left this final option to reach out to those of a higher expertise.

I have installed by ways of infoscramblings' blog an SD persistent settings copy of BT4 pre-final and for the most part it has worked like a charm.

After several uses thereafter the initial setup (as well as installing Gerix-Wifi-Cracker and several non-network based ubuntu apps) wlan0 has ceased to load up.

I have already tried manually loading up "/etc/init.d/networking start" as well as trying to up wlan0 from ifconfig but to no avail.

I was wondering if there is any manual workaround to getting wlan0 back up or more so better - to get ath0 up.

I appreciate the time from those who managed to read this all and not think to themselves: "This fool need'st do moar research" or "FLAME ON!"

Just burned his ISO

Just to make sure your Blue WLAN LED is on right?

That gave me some issues while playing around with my eeePC.
    I used the shortcut in Windows on the eepc to shutdown WiFi.

Hope thats the issue^^

Bye

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecky D. View Post
    Good evening. I hate to be a bother but after several long hours of researching the issue I have been left this final option to reach out to those of a higher expertise.

I have installed by ways of infoscramblings' blog an SD persistent settings copy of BT4 pre-final and for the most part it has worked like a charm.

After several uses thereafter the initial setup (as well as installing Gerix-Wifi-Cracker and several non-network based ubuntu apps) wlan0 has ceased to load up.

I have already tried manually loading up "/etc/init.d/networking start" as well as trying to up wlan0 from ifconfig but to no avail.

I was wondering if there is any manual workaround to getting wlan0 back up or more so better - to get ath0 up.

I appreciate the time from those who managed to read this all and not think to themselves: "This fool need'st do moar research" or "FLAME ON!"
    Is this the first gen device? If so it will be ath0, if it's the second generation or later 701 the wifi card isn't supported in linux.

as far as I know eee pc came with three chipsets:
    - Atheros AR5007EG
    - Ralink RT2860
    - Realtek RTL8187SE

Supports for both first and second chipset listed should already be included however the support for realtek is very new. A kernel update may help but do not expect anything like monitor or injection.

Quote Originally Posted by Phyber.Apex View Post
    Just to make sure your Blue WLAN LED is on right?

That gave me some issues while playing around with my eeePC.
    I used the shortcut in Windows on the eepc to shutdown WiFi.

Hope thats the issue^^

Bye
    My led is always on whether the wifi card is enabled or not.

Just burned his ISO

Barry:
    You are not alone with that issue. Enabled or not, backtrack does not handle the eee's hardware specific features, not surprising though.

And as for your previous post - my EEE has not recognized my net card as ath0 since bt2 final.

Hakate:
    Seeing as how my EEE has a label (convenient ) stating that the card is an Atheros AR5BXB63 as well as the fact that my EEE ran bt4 pre-final just fine before hand, I'm sure that it cannot be a compatability issue.

Phyber:
    Thanks for the advice regarding shutting wlan out in windows possibly being a problem. I just might run into such a situation down the road. (I have XP on the SSD)

----------------------------------
    But alas, I have come to the conclusion that troubleshooting one device over a "live-ish" cd is a waste of time so I ran through infoscramblings' blog post again and managed to get it all to work.

Outside of the live cd, I installed and configured only Nessus, Truecrypt, and Gerix-Wifi-Cracker.

It has been stable since (a little slow in boot ) so no complaints.

I appreciate the time and effort of you three to read and respond to my thread.

Laters.
    :request to close before some other dude hijacks this resolved thread?: