Thread: WUSB54GC v3

Just burned his ISO

Default WUSB54GC v3

Can not for the life of me get it working in bt4 pre-release

I hear its possible to get it working in other versions of backtrack but right now all the drivers I find will not compile...I'm getting errors such as this:

/root/rt2870/os/linux/../../os/linux/rt_profile.c:1370: error: ‘struct task_struct’ has no member named ‘fsgid’

When I plug in the device it is not recognized in ifconfig. I am sort of a newbie here in linux but am doing my best to learn. From my understanding I need to lookup the device address with lsusb and then add that into the driver source (if its not already there, so far it hasnt already been there in any of the drivers i've tried.) To tell you the truth I have found so much information/misinformation on this device i'm not even sure what driver I should be using at this point. I am fairly certain though, that the chipset is RT2800U 11bgn WLAN USB2 (i did the fcc id lookup) and I could use the RT2870 drivers...which don't compile. I'm almost embarrassed to say I've spent 8+ hours over the last two days trying to get this to work..maybe I should just return the card and order one online that I know will work? Hopefully someone can just help me out though!!

Thanks, CamJ

Just burned his ISO

One thing to note possibly is that after installing the ralink drivers which actually do compile i get a new connection that shows up wmaster0

but I can't get it to do anything.. possibly i'm missing some step.

anyway when i do ifconfig i get:
    wmaster0 Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr 00-13-02-25-41-5B-31-35-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
    UP RUNNING MTU:0 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

and iwconfig gives:

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wmaster0 no wireless extensions.

along with my already working wlan0 card.

Sorry If i am doing something noobish. Thanks ahead of time!

Quote Originally Posted by CamJ256 View Post
    along with my already working wlan0 card.
    If wlan0 is working, what's the problem? wmaster0 always appears to me when i insert wireless interface in a usb port, it's normal.

Just burned his ISO

sorry. Wlan0 is a different card...that is semi broke. Ripped out of another laptop. Has the range of about 15 feet.