Thread: creating wordlist of pairs

Hybrid View

Default creating wordlist of pairs

since this is my first post, id like to start by thanking the backtrack community for there work at creating an amazing os. ive been using backtrack for over a year now and recently decided to make it my primary os.

what im attempting is to create is a wordlist made of pairs of words from an existing dictionary. ex. wordlist of cat dog pig becomes catdog catpig dogcat dogpig pigcat pigdog. ive found that the majority of passwords i find through meathods other than dictionary attacks are often 2 words under 6 char followed by a number so adding these pairs to my existing wordlist would likey dramatically improve my chances of success when attempting wordlist attacks.
    if someone could help me with the scripting or point me to an existing script it would be much appreaciated.
    ps this would be a good addition to pure h@te's wordlist menu in my opinion

Default Re: creating wordlist of pairs

Just create a script that iterates through the two lists. Select a word from the first list then append every word in the second list to it and output that to a third list, rinse and repeat.

For example (this can be done at the commandline, but creating a script that you can use over and over again would be just as easy):

listone is a file that contains (18 Bytes):
    cat
    dog
    bird
    frog

listtwo is a file that contains (21 Bytes):
    red
    blue
    black
    white

Code:
    for WORD in `cat listone`; do for WORD2 in `cat listtwo`; do echo $WORD$WORD2|tee -a listthree;done; done
    Creates listthree containing (140 Bytes):
    catred
    catblue
    catblack
    catwhite
    dogred
    dogblue
    dogblack
    dogwhite
    birdred
    birdblue
    birdblack
    birdwhite
    frogred
    frogblue
    frogblack
    frogwhite

Also keep in mind that the storage requirements of your new list (listthree) are going to grow extremely quickly. There's a good discussion about wordlist sizes here:
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...es-crunch.html
    Last edited by thorin; 03-15-2010 at 04:27 PM.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

much appreciated! i suppose i might have jumped the gun a bit by posting this in the experts forum... the answer is much simpler than i thought it would be.

Just burned his ISO

I have a wordlist with my password in it, I dont wanna add the password to the existing BT4 wordlist because I wanto see how to use my own, where do I put that wordlist so I can get to it and use? or is desktop just fine?