Thread: installing...?

Just burned his ISO

Default installing...?

i honestly have no idea how to install this. i put BT4 onto a dvd, booted up with the dvd and was greeted with a screen that expected input from me (had like grub>: or something and i had to enter stuff). what do i do here? there are SO many tutorials on installing BT4 but none of them show how to install it the way i am. dual booting with my vista, installing of a DVD.... no ubantu, no USB's..no virtual thingamajigz

Just burned his ISO

'startx' at the prompt.

Then open 'install.sh' on the desktop.

prowl3r

Backtrack is a special distro for computer experts. You are supposed to know linux well before you even try it.

Also, step-by-step guides are provided only when needed or if someone decides to post his own experiences. So don't expect us to hold your hand here.

I suggest you to begin with a general linux distro, learn the basics and then come back and give it a try. Otherwise, it is going to be extremely difficult for you to make use of the tools included.

Quote Originally Posted by prodiga View Post
    i honestly have no idea how to install this. i put BT4 onto a dvd, booted up with the dvd and was greeted with a screen that expected input from me (had like grub>: or something and i had to enter stuff). what do i do here? there are SO many tutorials on installing BT4 but none of them show how to install it the way i am. dual booting with my vista, installing of a DVD.... no ubantu, no USB's..no virtual thingamajigz
    You can start here: Up and Running Backtrack 4 - Offensive Security

Follow Prowl3r's advice. You can get some good practice with Ubuntu first and come back after you feel comfortable with command line.

Good friend of the forums Eatme's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rengic View Post
    'startx' at the prompt.

Then open 'install.sh' on the desktop.
    even tho this is the easiest part in installing bt4-pre-final and he manages to install it, its just a matter of time he will be back asking for more questions on how to crack WPA/WEP.
    Wiffy-Auto-Cracker - was the best thing that ever happen to me. :) Wo0oT :)
    AWUSO36H_500mW_5dBi Antenna

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Eatme View Post
    even tho this is the easiest part in installing bt4-pre-final and he manages to install it, its just a matter of time he will be back asking for more questions on how to crack WPA/WEP.
    This is coming from someone who was asking 100 stupid questions just last week. 99 posts in less than a month. Starting to look like spam to me.

Just burned his ISO

Please also read about the dual boot you are trying. If you come back here asking either "How do I get Windows back?" or "Where did Windows go?" The guys around here will not play nice!

Read up on editing your Grub setup to run the windows bootloader or you will only boot backtrack and I would guess not figure out how to get it online to fix this.

Good luck!

prowl3r

Another interesting page for you to learn about installation possibilities at:

Illustrated Dual Boot Site

This is the best info source about grub, in my opinion (GRUB Legacy Page).

Good friend of the forums Eatme's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    100 stupid questions just last week.
    looks like someone is egsadurating a lot to me. I agree some of them were 'useless' questions (not all of them) when i later found out the answers to them but, half of them were for a purpose.

At least when someones comes across my question they'll know where to find the answer cuz most of my questions are edited by me with the following answers to them.
    Wiffy-Auto-Cracker - was the best thing that ever happen to me. :) Wo0oT :)
    AWUSO36H_500mW_5dBi Antenna