Thread: Help with Backtrack 4 Partitioning

Just burned his ISO

Default Help with Backtrack 4 Partitioning

I currently have Windows Vista and Ubuntu Linux installed on this laptop that my gf uses for college. I have recently figured out (stupid I know) that I install Backtrack 4 as its own OS through muts's video. I was trying to figure out how to work Backtrack 4 with Vmware and I have decided maybe I should just get rid of the Ubuntu and dual boot Backtrack 4 with vista. Ubuntu is installed via wubi on Vista so I don't think it is actually partitioned?

My question is if I go with the backtrack 4 installation process under the prepare partitions menu and it asks me to create a new partition table is it:
    -A: going to wipe my harddrive and replace it with Backtrack 4, a guide said that if I follow the guide it would wipe my drive and it included this in the steps
    -B: going to split the linux partition that is setup with wubi?
    -C: going to split the whole 280G partition that is setup between vista and linux?
    -D: do something completely different?

Sorry for what is probably a really stupid question.
    Any help would be very appreciated.

Just burned his ISO

Just a couple of quick ones... I was going to run straight through the installer but it did indeed look like it was going to eat windows. Not knowing how your Ubuntu is actualy installed could be a wild card. If it were me I would fire up backtrack via usb or dvd and run the gui partitioner to look at the drive.

Another thing. Your current dual boot setup, what boot loader does it use? Grub? Lilo? Whatever you have if you play with the partitions and systems you are going to have to edit it to point in the right directions to be able to boot into any of the installed systems.

I used http://forums.remote-exploit.org/bac...dual-boot.html

Remember you are going to have to use different partitions than that so you can still get to windows. Also if you do indeed only have one partition you are going to have to unmount it and resize it.

Go onto Vista (if your new on Linux) and get Partition magic, make an ext3 partition of atleast 20gb, make a swap of 2gb, and reboot to BT, choose "the largest avalible space" option, and it will use the ext3 (it will indicate it in the options). If you got the hang of linux use PartitionEditor or QParted and make them
    :cool:
    Alienware M17x - Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme QX9300
    Dual Nvidia GeForce GTX 280M GPUs
    8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
    Dual 500GB

Just burned his ISO

The Partition Magic idea seems much easier. I saw the thread that someone else recommended and it seemed extremely confusing. I also have just completely wiped the ubuntu partiton that was being confuigured with wubi to make things alot easier on myself. I am downloading partition magic atm to try and get it working. ( hopefully it will work) I tried using the manual install in backtrack instead of the guided but I could not figure it out for the life of me.