Thread: SIOCSIFADDR: No such device?

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Unhappy SIOCSIFADDR: No such device?

My WiFi doesn't work at all. I started the wcid manager, but networking fails to start. It just basically gives me the message that i wrote in the title. What does it mean and how can i fix this?

Default Re: SIOCSIFADDR: No such device?

Googling for this "SIOCSIFADDR: No such device? " tells me that this error can occur when the system has a record of a network card with a particular MAC address no longer being present in the system.

Have a look at the following for some pointers on some files you can check to potentially fix the problem.
    SIOCSIFADDR: No such device eth0 After Dappr Upgrade - Ubuntu Forums
    Vmware: “SIOCSIFADDR: No such device eth0″ after cloning by Stuart Colville
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Sadly, neither of those helped me

You might want to check some of the other Google results then. If they don't provide a solution they may at least help you learn more about the problem so you can troubleshoot it more effectively...
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

you said it was due to a MAC address issue? Why not try to clear the appropriate configuration files from /etc/init.d? I believe the file 'wicd' (wicd.conf?) will have the bit thats giving you the dreaded SIOCSSIFADDR (I hate those, least of all reason because they are hard to type...)

Sorry, I just checked the wicd file, thats a runtime script... I do know that there has to be a configuration file that you can check to debug, but Im not sure which one it is... Google much?
    Last edited by ChrisTesla4; 01-18-2010 at 09:30 PM. Reason: made a mistake

Just burned his ISO

I think i might have found something. I need to install the driver for my wifi, which is the intel wifi link 1000BGN. So i found the ucode driver thing and used a usb drive to get it onto my backtrack system, but i dont know how to install this driver.

Just burned his ISO

Hey,

I have the exact same card and am having the exact same issue, some of the other details I have been able to gather are in this thread:

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...t-working.html

If you are able to let me know how and if you fix this, that would be great. I also have the ucode driver but it should be in the iwlagn driver chipset that comes default with the OS.

Hey Guys,

Just adding onto this issue as I have the same thing:

This is the error i get when I try to run /etc/init.d/networking start:

SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory
    SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory
    Listening on LPF/wlan0/00:1e:64:**:**:**
    Sending on LPF/wlan0/00:1e:64:**:**:**
    Sending on Socket/fallback

Now I have a Wifi link 1000 series WIFI card, As far as I can tell it should be in the iwlagn driver set, but when I try and run airmon-ng start wlan0 it comes up with:

Interface Chipset Driver

wlan0 Intel 4965/5xxx iwlagn - [phy0]SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory

Could this be a possible driver/firmware issue?
    ( I also have the .ucode files for this chipset from the linux wireless website, although it states they should be ready to go from the iwlagn drivers)

Any help with this would be great!

Thanks
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 01-19-2010 at 07:20 PM.

Just burned his ISO

ok HatebreedR, if the kernel version in the backtrack iso is the same as in the vmware image (I haven't check ), I think your problem is the Kernel version => 2.6.30, in debian I had to:

1. Compile the kernel 2.6.31
    2. Download the files from here Intel® Wireless WiFi Link drivers for Linux* and put them in /lib/firmware
    3. apt-get install firmware-iwlwifi

That is the kernel where the 1000 series started to have support in the kernel, according to the developers mailing list.
    Now, that is the solution for debian, but for backtrack I have no idea what could be the results of compiling a new kernel, I haven't done that

Good luck