Thread: any good GUI studio or framework for python?

Hybrid View

Default any good GUI studio or framework for python?

ok i have been looking for a studio or tool for GUI programming in python , i found few like pyqt or ironpython studio but some of them with errors like pyqt in windows or IP studio thats not been supported for a long time. i think really shame for a powerfull language like python almost 20 years old that does not have a good gui studio like c++ and visual basic.
    if you guys know any good tool out there i would like to hear your suggestion , it does not matter windows or linux platform
    Knowledge is Power

What do you need it for? It is a scripting language.

The only GUI you need for it is the shell

Well for KDE there is something which you could more or less call a GUI Designer, the name is Kommander.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    What do you need it for? It is a scripting language.

The only GUI you need for it is the shell

Well for KDE there is something which you could more or less call a GUI Designer, the name is Kommander.
    i know python is more scripting language but its also been used for GUI programming
    Knowledge is Power

The benefits of a GUI IDE is generally productivity...especially when it comes to trying to troubleshoot an issue within your script that you just can't seem to find. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge 'vi' fan and use it all the time for quick fixes, but when I'm trying to track down an issue in my script that isn't overly apparent I break out the IDE.

To answer the OP's question, I would suggest eclipse with the python plugin. Eclipse is hands down one of the best programming IDE's available in my opinion. The reason being because you can load plugins for Perl, C/C++, Java, Python, PL/SQL, PHP, Lisp, COBOL, ADA, and for you Metasploit freaks...Ruby. The benefit here is you don't have to continue to relearn the differences between independent IDE's. I would concede that Eclipse might not be the best IDE for each of those independent languages, but considering it can do them all and it is a free product with extensive backing from large corporations like IBM, etc the perks to me are obvious and makes it a good place to look first.

Eclipse Programming IDE
    Python Plugin for Eclipse

Hope this helps...

P.S.
    It runs on Windows, Linux, and even Solaris...

***EDIT***
    My bad, I misread the OP's original post. I thought he was looking for a graphical IDE to develop within, not a tool to design graphical user interfaces to frontend python scripts.

Just burned his ISO

Default eclipse specialized

I remember the times, when you had to edit your environment variables + setup cygwin when you wanted to use eclipse in Win.

Today this happens fully automatic and there are specialized flavours of eclispe.

For EXAMPLE wascana for C/C++ (comes with CDT ->gcc)

Are there such slim specialized flavours for other (scripting) languages too?

Perhaps helpful / a lot more performant on old laptops with little ram / netbooks.

As you can have "full heavy weight install" with every plugin and lib packages you need at home
    on your desktop pc/workstation.
    old enough 2 know better, but young enough to not see a reason for

I may be mistaken but I believe the OP is referring to a GUI library in python for coding GUI applications as apposed to a GUI IDE for python programming.

I suggest Tkinter it is a very capable library, and fairly easy to code with and is supported nicely across mutiple platforms. Also I prefer Tkinter largely because it uses the GUI styling native to the OS its running on. Here is a link to the documentation on Tkinter "wiki.python.org/moin/TkInter" also there are a few GUI builders for the Tkinter library, I cant recall the one I favored when I was doing GUI coding with python(some googeling will probably turn it up) but quick research returned "wiki.tcl.tk/4500" which did not look to bad.

Another option would be wxPython, this GUI library I dont have much experience with, I do however know that it provides more functionality in the GUI then Tkinter does, you can achieve more complex features "easier" then Tkinter. A decent guide to this library resides here "wxpython.org/tutorial.php"

I hope some of this information helps you, good luck with the GUI coding, and feel free to PM with any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by thims View Post
    I may be mistaken but I believe the OP is referring to a GUI library in python for coding GUI applications as apposed to a GUI IDE for python programming.

I suggest Tkinter it is a very capable library, and fairly easy to code with and is supported nicely across mutiple platforms. Also I prefer Tkinter largely because it uses the GUI styling native to the OS its running on. Here is a link to the documentation on Tkinter "wiki.python.org/moin/TkInter" also there are a few GUI builders for the Tkinter library, I cant recall the one I favored when I was doing GUI coding with python(some googeling will probably turn it up) but quick research returned "wiki.tcl.tk/4500" which did not look to bad.

Another option would be wxPython, this GUI library I dont have much experience with, I do however know that it provides more functionality in the GUI then Tkinter does, you can achieve more complex features "easier" then Tkinter. A decent guide to this library resides here "wxpython.org/tutorial.php"

I hope some of this information helps you, good luck with the GUI coding, and feel free to PM with any questions.
    thanks for the info i have been looking around for the best GUI builder tkinter is good but is no more supported , QT designer is also good but i think is not free . i think its time to have something like visual studio for python to ease the GUI programming with this great language
    Knowledge is Power

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by azagorath View Post
    thanks for the info i have been looking around for the best GUI builder tkinter is good but is no more supported , QT designer is also good but i think is not free . i think its time to have something like visual studio for python to ease the GUI programming with this great language
    Wow you waited a long time for an answer here didn't you.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Hey try wxglade ist really good

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

eric ide The Eric Python IDE

boa Boa Constructor home

under mac xcode
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006