Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Personal Toolkit

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by HitThemLow View Post
    /me hopes that doesnt mean hes gonna get autobanned from remote exploit...
    nope. I was just offering a little explanation.

Well, yes, most of them on my list ARE open source, only two are closed, they happen to be the ones I paid for D:
    .....yes... did you understand what I was getting at when I made that comment? I was suggesting that it sounds a little hypocritical to be against providing software you have written for free when most of the other software you rely on has been given away for free.

See, but the way I see it is, there are enough open source things out there as it is, do we really need to be handing out two rootkits that work on almost everything ive tested, from Windows ME to 7 and 2.4 and 2.6 kernel... Or a tool that can take down a webserver on a line of about... 1 mb/s :\
    We can always do with more open source software, I don't think we will ever have "enough". I'd agree that very specific software (that you only use on one job ever) might not be worth releasing, but stuff you use regularly is worth releasing. If you find it useful enough to use on a regular basis, I'm sure other people would find it useful too.

Or is the fact that other people may not find your software useful not the real reason why you don't release it? My own personal reasons for not releasing my own tools as yet is because I don't have a location to release them from (no website), and I haven't had a chance to tidy it up and document it to make it easily usable by others. I will probably get around to releasing some of it eventually though.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

@HitThemLow
    I suppose you use BackTrack because you are a member of remote-exploit forums.
    If Backtrack was not open source and it wasn't free, saying you had to pay about $3500 for it(1 second assesment and supposing all the tools weren't free), would you buy it? Why?
    Great minds have purposes, others have wishes

lol because Rich skiddys have no idea,
    I would rather be hated for what i am,
    Then loved for what i am not.

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    .....yes... did you understand what I was getting at when I made that comment? I was suggesting that it sounds a little hypocritical to be against providing software you have written for free when most of the other software you rely on has been given away for free.
    Well if someone wants to release something, ill use it, but I wont hand stuff I coded out, not hypocritical if your on my end, they made the choice to release, i dont like that choice for me.

We can always do with more open source software, I don't think we will ever have "enough". I'd agree that very specific software (that you only use on one job ever) might not be worth releasing, but stuff you use regularly is worth releasing. If you find it useful enough to use on a regular basis, I'm sure other people would find it useful too.

Or is the fact that other people may not find your software useful not the real reason why you don't release it? My own personal reasons for not releasing my own tools as yet is because I don't have a location to release them from (no website), and I haven't had a chance to tidy it up and document it to make it easily usable by others. I will probably get around to releasing some of it eventually though.
    My personal reason is: skids have enough as it is, im not going to hand away my code to people who have no idea how it works. I do share, just not to (7??) billion people.

Quote Originally Posted by erhardm View Post
    @HitThemLow
    I suppose you use BackTrack because you are a member of remote-exploit forums.
    If Backtrack was not open source and it wasn't free, saying you had to pay about $3500 for it(1 second assesment and supposing all the tools weren't free), would you buy it? Why?
    Well i have a cd or two lieing around SOMEWHERE, but I odnt use it on a regular basis, and it wouldnt hurt me to go find the list of tools I might ever need (which is quite small) install on Arch, then use the scripts to make a live cd.

So to answer you, if they were charging anything more than 10$ for it, nope.

Just burned his ISO

Im very sorry, I have a strict, if it takes longer than a few ours to code, dont share with everyone rule D:

And yes im fully aware they are in synaptic, I was asking what everyone else uses
    I was just saying they are in Synaptic for Xorred because he asked if you could share them and I looked at the list and found only Klocwork.

Well if someone wants to release something, ill use it, but I wont hand stuff I coded out, not hypocritical if your on my end, they made the choice to release, i dont like that choice for me....

My personal reason is: skids have enough as it is, im not going to hand away my code to people who have no idea how it works. I do share, just not to (7??) billion people.
    Maybe elitist is a better description than hypocritical then.

As opposed to seeing it as giving the skids more ammunition Id see it more as giving something back to the community thats provided so much for me. I don't think Im the only one that thinks that way, but if you want to think otherwise then thats up to you.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

and remember a good firewall

sorry for little off topic, but for personal tool this is the best i ever seen
    (go Kate Libby !)
    acer 5920g , 345abg , nvidia 8600m
    bt5 kde 64bit + acpi + cuda 4.0 / nvidia 270.40 / pyrit

Well I can understand that one doesn't want to share his/her tools with just everyone. I for sure will/would share my tools with people I know which are not mere skiddies. Sure there is the risk that also script kiddies get their hands on them but well, they will do that sooner or later anyway.

So yeah, if I am writing tools and consider them usefull for everyone I would share them with RE just to give a little back. I've learned and received so much from this community I only consider it fair to share a bit.

But that's just talking for me. I can understand if someone doesn't want his tools to be spread in public.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12