Thread: confusion with BT4 install.sh and wiki how to video dual install

Hybrid View

Default confusion with BT4 install.sh and wiki how to video dual install

In the wiki dual install for BT4 with Vista, the installer shows a Before and After image with a guided resizer option. The guider apparently detects Vista and a remainder of the hda that is unformatted into which it will format and install BT4. That's all fine and good, but on my machine which contains XP as hda1 and other linux files in hda2 and hda3 and an already formatted linux type 3 in hda4 ready willing and able to accept BT4, the installer only presents me with the "Guided - use entire disk" option or Manual.

I'm hesitant to use the Manual option, and the guided option looks like it's going to wipe out the entire hda and install ubuntu 8.10 onto it.

I naturally don't choose "Guided - use entire disk" because as stated above that sounds like it's going to wipe out the XP install.

If I choose manual and leave all partitions as they are (hda1=XP, hda2=formatted linux, hda3=formatted linux, hda4=formatted linux for the BT4 install created with partition magic), I receive a message that says "No root file system defined - please correct this from the partitioning menu" when clicking the forward button.

Can someone please advise what is the next step so I dont' blow away my XP install.

Thank you.

prowl3r

"Manual" is the way to go in your particular case.

First: backup your important data or just clone your partitions.

Double check before setting your root partition (hda4 as per your post) and select the right filesystem (ext3, reiser, ...) and mark it as root. You can choose to format or skip that, I would format it just in case. Once done, ensure you set a "boot" flag for that one.

You may want to set up a swap partition also. If you already have one, it would be used.

After completion you will see a warning screen telling you which partitions will be written for what and it will ask you for confirmation. (Everything not listed here won't be modified). Note this will be your last chance to undo changes.

You may google tutorials on this subject.

Thank you for your help. I'm stuck on setting the bootable parameter for the hda4 partition.

My only choices with the guider are "boot" or "root" but not both. I'm presuming that I set the bootable parameter AFTER everything else is set up correctly?

Thank you.

Okay, got it working, thanks for your help!

Have a nice day.

prowl3r

You're welcome. Nice to hear you managed to install the stuff.

Well what actually happened is it loaded fine but the first time I rebooted after the install, instead of going immediately to the BT4 login, I wanted to make sure XP was still accessible, so I chose that menu item first. NOT a good choice. What happens is it locks you out if you don't make the very first choice after reboot the BT4 menu.

Now I'm in the process of re-installing.

I got an Error 17 and luckily I had cloned the entire hard drive so I can start over.