Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BackTrack 4 Pre Final Kernel Update

Hybrid View

Default BackTrack 4 Pre Final Kernel Update

We have pushed a new kernel to the repository and updated several drivers. The upgrade process is a bit convoluted, but has been streamlined for the future. For now, run these commands from your backtrack box to update to the latest kernel and drivers: apt-get update apt-get install -d linux-image cd /var/cache/apt/archives/ dpkg -i –force all linux-image-2.6.30.5_2.6.30.5-10.00.Custom_i386.deb apt-get dist-upgrade apt-get install [...]

More...

mistake found :-D :

"dpkg -i --force-all linux-image-2.6.30.5_2.6.30.5-10.00.Custom_i386.deb"

but "apt-get dist-upgrade" have reverted piryt to old 0.2.3
    (now compiled 0.2.5 from svn)

re-edit /boot/grub/menu.lst to add 2.6.30.5
    re-install nvidia-drivers

uname-a
    Linux BackTrack 2.6.30.5 #1 SMP Wed Aug 26 16:47:02 EDT 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

thank for upgrade
    acer 5920g , 345abg , nvidia 8600m
    bt5 kde 64bit + acpi + cuda 4.0 / nvidia 270.40 / pyrit

Yaaaay! Back to no working video!!!

Just burned his ISO

Hi,

I have installed the new kernel and I would like to make a couple of comments, so that you can implement them in case you consider it appropriate.

The first is concerning high memory. My laptop has 4GiB of RAM and both with the new kernel and the previous one, only 3GiB were recognized. I have recompiled the kernel using then CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G option instead of CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G, which is the one used by default. With CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G the 4GiB are recognized without any problem.

The laptop also has a Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g [14e4:4315] wireless network interface, which uses the broadcom-sta driver. After upgrading the kernel following the procedure explained in the blog, the broadcom-sta package is upgraded as well but it seems that the module in the new package is compiled for the 2.6.29.4 kernel, even though it is copied in the /lib/modules/2.6.30.5 directory. When the module is loaded an error is generated stating that the magic number of the kernel is 2.6.29.4.

I hope it helps somehow.

Just burned his ISO

Default Nvidia driver

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Yaaaay! Back to no working video!!!
    I have a Nvidia 8600gt 256m and i installed the driver from the driver auto update and now i can't startx no configurable screen i says i think i was the 180 driver any ideas why it wont load it?

Quote Originally Posted by hellmonger View Post
    I have a Nvidia 8600gt 256m and i installed the driver from the driver auto update and now i can't startx no configurable screen i says i think i was the 180 driver any ideas why it wont load it?
    Most likely because the driver has been compiled with an older version of the kernel.
    Same happened with the ATI driver. I'll be working on the ATI driver this weekend to get the newest version running with the 2.6.30.5 kernel.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    Most likely because the driver has been compiled with an older version of the kernel.
    Same happened with the ATI driver. I'll be working on the ATI driver this weekend to get the newest version running with the 2.6.30.5 kernel.
    i did a fresh install updated kernel, updated, installed kubuntu-desktop updated to 9.04 did the updates then it told me to install the 180 driver and now wont startx.

Quote Originally Posted by hellmonger View Post
    edit the xorg.conf file.
    and try with these settings
    option "UseEDID" "False" to "True"
    Tested on my nvidia 9200GS using 2.6.30.5 compiled kernel having Nvidia 185 version binary drivers.also check with the xorg & nvidia log for detail diagnosis.

if all fails and still not avail.there are 2 methods-
    open /etc/X11/xorg.conf and
    replace in the driver section
    "nvidia"
    to
    "nv"

method 2:
    copy xorg.conf.back(up) and replace with xorg.conf
    you will be having working X session

Just burned his ISO

Default Hi to all!

I'm a new in BT that why I'm looking for a little help... I'm sure that somebody can help me. Don't forget that everybody was a beginner once. All the problems until now I took care myself reading the forum, but now I'm stuck. I'm trying to update the kernel to version 2.6.30.5. Everything is going perfectly until I receive an error message "Memory Low" and the process stops. I used first a 4GB USB Memory and I thought the memory stick is full, and I changed with another one of 16GB. But the same problem. In this case I think, the problem is my RAM . How can I fix it? Is it any solution or any script to create the "VAR" folder on the stick and not in RAM? I know that maybe I'm looking like a stupid, but I didn't work with Linux. Only with Windows until now. Thank's to all great peoples which are creating every day great programs like this. Sorry for my imperfect English... and thank's in advance for your help!

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the tip about the mem, i'll try that to.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast