Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best place to buy Cisco?

ok, thanks.
    "You're only smoke and mirrors..."

Just burned his ISO

Cisco Certification: CCNA, CCNP, CCIE, used Cisco router, Cisco switch, Cisco routers.

Sells CCNA/CCNP/CCIE cert kits. Older hardware but cheap cisco.
    Beware the fury of a patient man.

Seph, I know you want to have that hardware in you're hands but save you're money bro. I'm in the Cisco Academy now and we use Cisco's emulator 99% of the time for labs. Its called Packet Tracer. I'm sure you can "find" it somewhere. My point is this, there is alot more to Cisco networking than that "home" network you mentioned. How much is the serial link card for a Cisco router? I dont know, but I do know it is alot of cheese. If you plan on working with PPP, frame relay or HDLC. You're going to need some serial cards and more than one router. So now you're looking at 2600x2, serial interfacex2. Now the cheese is getting thick. Do you're self a favor, save the cheese and "find" Packet Tracer. The only official place to get it is from Cisco Academy.
    As for the console cables. A console cable is nothing more than an rj-45 to rj-45 rollover cable. Colors on one end are reversed aka rollover on the other end. Yes, I know there is a db9 cable as well. Its not needed. Go down to Ebay or Radio Shack and buy some crimps if you must have this stuff. As for me, I would save the cash.
    <EeePc 1000HA BT4/W7 USB boot Alfa500 GPS BlueTooth>

Quote Originally Posted by PeppersGhost View Post
    As for the console cables. A console cable is nothing more than an rj-45 to rj-45 rollover cable. Colors on one end are reversed aka rollover on the other end. Yes, I know there is a db9 cable as well. Its not needed. Go down to Ebay or Radio Shack and buy some crimps if you must have this stuff. As for me, I would save the cash.
    Pepper, the console cable is for serial (RS-232C) communications with the equipment, not for Ethernet. The DB9 IS definitely needed for serial (RS-232C) communications; alternately you could also use a DB25 if your computer is old enough. The official Cisco console cable has a DB9 on one end and the RJ45 on the other; both are molded onto the cable.

EDIT: If you're saying you can just telnet into the console, using just a crossover Ethernet cable, then I'd agree. Usually it's easier, too. Although I do recall setup where there were two switches with the same IP address, and both had to be integrated into the same network. In that case it was quicker to just change the IP address of one using the serial console cable.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Pepper, the console cable is for serial (RS-232C) communications with the equipment, not for Ethernet. The DB9 IS definitely needed for serial (RS-232C) communications; alternately you could also use a DB25 if your computer is old enough. The official Cisco console cable has a DB9 on one end and the RJ45 on the other; both are molded onto the cable.

EDIT: If you're saying you can just telnet into the console, using just a crossover Ethernet cable, then I'd agree. Usually it's easier, too. Although I do recall setup where there were two switches with the same IP address, and both had to be integrated into the same network. In that case it was quicker to just change the IP address of one using the serial console cable.
    Thorn, yes I should have mentioned that. The RS-232 is a DB9. The older routers had only DB9 console ports. There is also an RJ45 console port on most of them now, I believe. The RJ45 console cable is aka a roll-over not a cross-over. Generally you're going to use hyper-terminal for direct console connections. The router will have to be configured for telnet access. If one of these full-on CCNA's would like to correct me, I can take it.

I will concede that it is a bit more complicated,

Cabling Guide for Console and AUX Ports - Cisco Systems

Rolled, roll-over, twisted or yosted whatever, with the DB* to RJ45 adapters on all you're DB console connections you can still use only a roll-over cable.

If it has an RJ45 female listed as console you're good to go with the rollover. And I will correct myself to say any terminal emulator can be used for serial connections not just hyper-terminal.

lol, thanks for the heads up. But I just purchased a router on ebay for 30 bucks about an hour ago. I'll probuly look at the emulator programs, but I'm a hands on guy. I feel as though I need the opportunity I wont get elsewhere at this point in my career, putting cables into Cisco switches and routers (and owning one in the first place :) .
    "You're only smoke and mirrors..."

Good friend of the forums

I will concede that it is a bit more complicated,

Cabling Guide for Console and AUX Ports - Cisco Systems

Rolled, roll-over, twisted or yosted whatever, with the DB* to RJ45 adapters on all you're DB console connections you can still use only a roll-over cable.

If it has an RJ45 female listed as console you're good to go with the rollover. And I will correct myself to say any terminal emulator can be used for serial connections not just hyper-terminal.
    with the db9 if you change two wires around you can just use a normal patch cable, will see if i can find the link.
    I found the 2500 range was cheap, $75.
    @PeppersGhost
    With the PPP settings on it, how would i get it to work with broadband(bridge the one i've got at the moment and connect them?)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123