Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dell Inspiron 1545

You failed to see my point again, and I will cease trying to explain it. Also your last post was downright offensive.

Back on topic.

In my opinion there is nothing wrong using a GUI, but you should also know how to work with the CLI, in case something goes wrong. If you want speed with CLI, you can always create a script, it's not hard to accomplish.

That quite summed it up Snayler, but let's leave it at this, okay?

EDIT: Internet works, it inded turned out to be the "advanced tab" I completely missed. Thanks!

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Citruspers View Post
    Thanks for the tip Hatake!

But still...this is 2009. All the other distributions let you connect with wifi in one click, and backtrack makes you go through a whole list of commands to get it to work. I thought pentesting was all about speed?
    You are right, pentesting is about speed, but perhaps more importantly, it's also about stealth, which is why you will not find a lot of other services you are used to turned on by default in BT4 (SMB shares etc.)
    In a context of using this for pentesting, it IS faster to not start with the assumption that you want to connect to the internet and force you to kill wicd manually before starting up the tools the aircrack-ng suite. In a wireless pentest you'll have to crack in before you can connect anyway.

If you are not a pentester (which I'm guessing from your approach you are not) probably Ubuntu is a better place to start. BT4 is Ubuntu, reconfigured and optimized for pentesting, as opposed to general purpose use, so whatever tool you need in BT4 will install on Ubuntu too.

No Rod, I'm not a pentester, I'm a first year system administration student, but security is something which hugely interests me. I've been using ubuntu and other distro's for multiple years (and started with backtrack since it came out, although I must admit I didn't understand it back then).

What exactly do you mean by my "approach"? I could connect through the terminal if I wanted to, but I don't, since I'm lazy and I don't want to go through the whole hassle just to check and update my system on my home network.

Just to clarify, I'm not a linux noob. I know my way around the terminal, and I know what the commands do most of the time (although I haven't had time to get into advanced bash scripting for my study yet). Sure, I could install the tools in Ubuntu, but why leave such a great distro left unused. True, backtrack is pretty much broken most of the time (for example postgreSQL went fubar and updating it returns an error), but that's because this is not a final release.

Plus backtrack has a kernel with drivers modded for wireless injection right out of the box

prowl3r

Quote Originally Posted by rodmacpherson View Post
    You are right, pentesting is about speed, but perhaps more importantly, it's also about stealth
    Disagree. Black hat hacking is about stealth, pentesting is about transparency.

Quote Originally Posted by prowl3r View Post
    Disagree. Black hat hacking is about stealth, pentesting is about transparency.
    Still, a pentester might have to also beat/fool network inspection tools if the corporation wants a full, real-life scan? I assume if the network has intrusion detection you can't go all out on your portscans

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123