Thread: No questions yet

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default No questions yet

But I am sure they will come. I am new to the forums and new to a lot in the world of network security and linux. I have done some minor stuff with it, but nothing very serious. I think the hardest thing I have done was install OpenBSD. And that's not really linux.

I am working on a degree in Info Studies(a variant of Management Info Systems) and eventually hope to break into networking, server management, and security.

I hope this doesn't sound too noobish of me, but I pretty much am in this area of computing. I can whip up a homebrewed frankenstein of a computer and do a lot when it comes to windows but I know where the real meat is. Linux.

So anyways, I just wanted to let everyone know that I am new here and to not rip me to shreds just yet for asking what may seem to you, a stupid question.

Just burned his ISO mr-swaggmore's Avatar

it might be better for you to get to know linux in general and learn the basics backtrack may difficult for a noob but not impossible linux is more of a command prompt (shell) type of envoiroment but hopefully you'll get the hang of it read alot and do some hands on exercises use google for things you dont understand also try ubuntu also great for beginners .
    D-Day 2012 fact or fiction

The Linux Cookbook

Good link to start learning how to use Linux.

Yes nice "Linux cookbook" is nice book also read Unix books to know how to do things in command shell.

Just burned his ISO

I will give them a shot. I have some old clunkers here that I could set up with something light weight. I will definitely check out what you guys have suggested. Thanks for the info. I have a friend who raves about Kubuntu being better but I've never gotten any full details on it. Is it equally easy to use like ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by Gearshock View Post
    Is it equally easy to use like ubuntu?
    From my little experience with kubuntu, i would say yes.

Quote Originally Posted by mr-swaggmore View Post
    it might be better for you to get to know linux in general and learn the basics backtrack may difficult for a noob but not impossible linux is more of a command prompt (shell) type of envoiroment but hopefully you'll get the hang of it read alot and do some hands on exercises use google for things you dont understand also try ubuntu also great for beginners .
    I agree this is a good place to start out. Ubuntu is pretty easy to learn and get used to in a short time. I recommend though trying to force yourself to use the command line as much as possible. I have had it for almost a year now and I noticed if I wanted to, I could run the entire OS without ever touching the command line.

Check this link out for command line reference. It's a good introduction and an easy read.

LinuxCommand.org: Learning the shell.

Also try this nice documentation: tuXfiles - Linux command line tutorials for newbies.

As Lincoln said learn command line. I have feeling if someone in tutorial "How to crack wep" said write all [rm -r something] all newbies will write this. So learn command basics and you will see how shell is power. And also see what rm -r do but dont execute this command pleas.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the great info everyone, it is much appreciated. I was looking up the rm -r command along with some other stuff and found this tidbit to be pretty funny and figured you guys would be able to appreciate it. (If you haven't already read it by some chance)

"I was waiting for a friend in the lobby of the Hilton down at Union Square. Near me was a middle-aged woman speaking loudly into a pay phone.

"Yes, yes, that's right. You've got it. Now, here's what I want you to type. 'are em' ... yes. The letter 'r' and the letter 'm', together. Now type a dash. Yes, like a hyphen. OK, and then another 'r'. Yes rm space hyphen r. OK, now another space and then a star. Shift 8. Yes. Now read it back to me. [pause] OK perfect. Hit return and tell me what happens. [pause] [pause] OK. Thank you. Goodbye."

And she hung up and walked away while the command-line geek inside of me stood paralyzed with fear."

I didnt read it its very fun. In linux newbies dont have virus like in windows but they have regular unix command lines combined with sudo.