Thread: kismet new core no signal strength bar and unable to sort by strength

Hybrid View

Default kismet new core no signal strength bar and unable to sort by strength

I've recently started running the pre-final bt4 with kismet-newcore.

It's great but I miss the signal strength bars next to the discovered networks and I find it impossible to SORT by signal strength as I had that ability in bt3.

What am I missing here?

Under the sort window there is no option to sort by signal strength and under the column preferences I've said "yes" to signal_dbm but it doesn't come up under the the sort preferences.

Any help much appreciated.

Have you tried asking on kismet forums as well?

Yes. I have. So far no reply.

Quote Originally Posted by bulgin View Post
    I've recently started running the pre-final bt4 with kismet-newcore.

It's great but I miss the signal strength bars next to the discovered networks and I find it impossible to SORT by signal strength as I had that ability in bt3.

What am I missing here?

Under the sort window there is no option to sort by signal strength and under the column preferences I've said "yes" to signal_dbm but it doesn't come up under the the sort preferences.

Any help much appreciated.
    It's under Preferences, Network Columns. It's not enabled by default, so just highlight it and hit the spacebar, then hit save.

under Preferences, Network Columns I have the following for the kismet-newcore:
    decay, name, nettype, crypt,channel, packets,datasize, signal_dbm, bssid, shortname, packdata, packllc,packcrypt,slients, beaconperc, signal_rssi, frequency, manuf, lldcountry, seenby, ip, iprange

Activiting any or all of them does not bring back the signal strength *bars* that were present in the pre new-core kismet. Yes, I now have a column called signal_dbm and/or signal_rssi, but there are no bars like before and I cannot sort by these two columns.

I could do without the bars if I could just sort on the signal_dbm column but under sort there is no option for that.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bulgin View Post
    under Preferences, Network Columns I have the following for the kismet-newcore:
    decay, name, nettype, crypt,channel, packets,datasize, signal_dbm, bssid, shortname, packdata, packllc,packcrypt,slients, beaconperc, signal_rssi, frequency, manuf, lldcountry, seenby, ip, iprange

Activiting any or all of them does not bring back the signal strength *bars* that were present in the pre new-core kismet. Yes, I now have a column called signal_dbm and/or signal_rssi, but there are no bars like before and I cannot sort by these two columns.

I could do without the bars if I could just sort on the signal_dbm column but under sort there is no option for that.

Thanks.
    Hmmm, I don't remember the signal strength bars, though I usually ran kismet on fairly small screened laptops/handhelds (800X600 and smaller), so I turned most of the crap on the screen off. I'm not sure why when you enable the signal strength column you can't sort it, you'd think that would become an option. At least it's a start.

Hey, wait, you're not talking about Windows, Channel Details are you?

Just burned his ISO mr-swaggmore's Avatar

anyone tried to update kismet from synaptic it seems to fail on my system
    D-Day 2012 fact or fiction

Quote Originally Posted by mr-swaggmore View Post
    anyone tried to update kismet from synaptic it seems to fail on my system
    I use svn from the kismetwireless.net site.