Thread: Broadcom 4318 situation?

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Broadcom 4318 situation?

Hi all, Windows XP shows me I have the unlucky broadcom 4318 wifi cards (driver BCMWL5.SYS).
    I run BT3 live CD and that chipset was not supported; with my surprise IS (half) supported on "BT4 pre final" live DVD.

I say half supported, because now I can scan wifi connections on range and I able to connect to my wifi network.
    But when I go to test a WEP protected network I think it fails "packet injection" because packet collected are so poor (#Data column) and i will take a lot to collect at least 10.000 packet as suggested in several tutorial.

What I wanted to know: Are there any chances to do "packet injection" with my chipset running backtrack4 ON A LIVE CD/DVD???

And if I run on Vmware or virtual box?? I suppose I need a dongle USB wifi card, is it true??
    Thx and sry for my english

I'm surprised to hear that bcm4318 is not working on bt3 and partially working on bt4 (beta or pre-final?).

BT3 would be using the non-mac80211 equivalent driver known as bcm43xx which is fairly limited support and is deprecated in favour of a common mac80211 stack which unifies many chipsets/drivers into one base, etc. A tell tale sign would be ethX entry for bcm43xx

BT4 and the driver used is b43 which is the latter and much favoured as it uses mac80211 stack. Injection should work with literally most if not all parts when used with bt4pf (the latter the kernel version, the better generally). The interface for the device will appear as wlan0.

It should not fail at packet injection if you are using backtrack as those drivers came pre-patched and ready for injection. Injection tests are just random mac assignments probing on a randomly found AP. If your injection fails, you are probably running things like networkmanager, wpa_supplicant, dhclient, airodump-ng, kismet which you shouldn't be as it will mess around with the modes on the interface as listed. Try killing such processes and any other ones that are tampering with the device (iwevent can sometimes be helpful here) and try again.

10,000 packets is more like 10,000 IVs but it depends on your network and how long is the key length, the longer it is, the more IVs it will require. Furthermore if injection does fail, you can always do passively rfmon on the same channel and on single AP. Have another client using wireless to send packets back and forth and your IVs will eventually increase. Remember, injection is optional and is not mandatory if you are breaking your own network :P

I have bcm4318 (linksys wpc54gv3) it works but because its pcmcia card with no external antenna connector, the range is a little poor and at times I have to re-orientate my laptop to pick up an AP at times.

Yes only USB is supported, nothing else.

Just burned his ISO

Really thank for your replay, I am a newbie and I realize my wifi card was neither not available running Bt3 from live CD; was available if running Bt4 (with live dvd) but failes when doing packet injection so I supposed I needed t patch some driver, thing not possible running backtrack on live cd.
    I will try both, broadcom43xx on lbt4 ive cd and a dongle USB wireless adapter on a emulated system (but is Kubuntu)

Is your card minipci based? if so, there could be issues with acpi. I'd check to see if the card is at all detected via lspci. From there on I check the modules to see if bcm43xx is loaded under lsmod (this is for bt3 mind you) if its loaded. I'd check dmesg and /var/log/messages for any reasons as to why its not working. The device should work on bt3 but its not recommended that you use bt3 at any rate unless you are proficient at linux.

As for bt4 it doesn't require patching of the drivers or the mac80211 stack because bt4 already comes with the drivers + the mac80211 stack patched. If it does not work, I'd suggest you to check dmesg as well as /var/log/messages as to any information specifically flagged by b43.

Aboveall you haven't been very specific with your case, neither did you mention how is the device physically plugged in (is it internal? is it pcmcia?) or mentioning which bt4 you have used (is it beta or pre-final)?

Just burned his ISO

Hi, i have the same problem, i have a notebook with internal bcm4318 wifi card; im using bt3, but when im injecting ivs dont increase, my question is : is there some patch for broadcom 4318 card on backtrack or im doing something bad? thanx

For the question about using VMware/Virtualbox to run BT, yes you do have to use a USB wifi adapter. Thats what i do and it works great! Hope that helps.
    "If it's stupid but works, it's not stupid." - Murphy's Laws of combat, #2