Thread: Networking question

Default Networking question

So I was thinking. The most common networking protocol suite is the TCP/IP suite. Now as I was reading some documentation, I was thinking, would it be possible and would it be advisable, to create a network built on an uncommon but potentially more secure protocol suite? Even if one that wasn't more secure was used, with the machines and devices hardened, an not able to communicate with the majority of devices on the internet, you reduce your profile for attack.

Is this possible? Is it advisable?
    "You're only smoke and mirrors..."

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

You could use any number of protocols that are still available, IPX comes to mind. But you'd effectively be doing the "Security through Obscurity" method.

Plus, if you actually wanted to do something via the Web, you'd still need IP running on the network.

If you want to have some fun, play with Banyon-Vines or the old Apple Talk Protocol.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Meh, IPX and Apple Talk are good examples, but still too well known, i'm sure there are still a few networks using those suites, and you're going to learn about those while learning networking. I'm thinking maybe even a new protocl suite, something completely proprietary.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by SephStorm View Post
    Meh, IPX and Apple Talk are good examples, but still too well known, i'm sure there are still a few networks using those suites, and you're going to learn about those while learning networking. I'm thinking maybe even a new protocl suite, something completely proprietary.
    Even if you developed something completely proprietary, how would you communicate with the rest of your gear? Since everything supports IP today, you'd still need to run it to communicate with your infrastructure gear for configuration and such. So you'd pretty much need to keep that network completely segregated from the rest of the world. Which if you have something that's a high value, then it should probably be completely segregated to begin with.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Good point, the devices would need to be able to commuincate with modern devices. And I agree about network segmentation in secure enviroments.