Thread: The Challenge

Just burned his ISO

Default The Challenge

Hi, first post and n00b.

For the time beeing I am living in an apartment with no internett. In the apartment under my is my uncle living, he as wlan. I asked if I could get the key for his wlan, he responded: "If you can guess it, I will give you access".

So I though I would use BT4 to aid me in "guessing" his key... but he uses WPA encryption, and the wordlists I have tried so far has not given me any key. And I have tried some pretty large ones( 1.9 gb).

Since I am feeding his cat I have the key to his apartement, and thus his router. I have thought about sticking a pin in the reset button, but then he would notice that I have fiddled with his equipment...

So I was thinking: is there any way of finding his router user/password when I am wired to his router. It is a wrt54g v7 router btw.

Hope you can help me "beat" my uncle.

Cann0n

Developer

Even though you may be telling the truth and completely serious, we have no way of knowing. This post sounds like the attempted social engineering skill of a 10 year old. Take a read through the idiots corner and you will see that this post is very similar to the ones that are already there. I'm not comfortable helping you and I am pretty sure most of the regulars around here will feel the same way.

You can connect by Ethernet to the router, if you really have physical and legal access to it. If your uncle left the router access password (not the WPA key) on the default settings, you can enter the router and take a peek to the WPA key. There are other methods but I'm not comfortable to tell you which, and since you're a n00b (like you said) it wouldn't help you anyway... It takes advanced knowledge even I don't have yet.

BTW, that router's default username/password is root/admin

I hope i'm not breaking any rules by telling you this

Quote Originally Posted by Cann0n View Post
    "If you can guess it, I will give you access"
    Maybe that's your uncle's way of telling you "NO"

Quote Originally Posted by Cann0n View Post
    Hi, first post and n00b.

For the time beeing I am living in an apartment with no internett. In the apartment under my is my uncle living, he as wlan. I asked if I could get the key for his wlan, he responded: "If you can guess it, I will give you access".

So I though I would use BT4 to aid me in "guessing" his key... but he uses WPA encryption, and the wordlists I have tried so far has not given me any key. And I have tried some pretty large ones( 1.9 gb).

Since I am feeding his cat I have the key to his apartement, and thus his router. I have thought about sticking a pin in the reset button, but then he would notice that I have fiddled with his equipment...

So I was thinking: is there any way of finding his router user/password when I am wired to his router. It is a wrt54g v7 router btw.

Hope you can help me "beat" my uncle.

Cann0n
    Thanks for the lunch time laugh . Just pay for the service and get your own AP if you want to practice breaking into it.

prowl3r

So you're feeding his cat and he's not giving you access to his router ?

Well, replace your uncle then. Or you may arp poison his cat and negotiate the antidote.

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    I am pretty sure most of the regulars around here will feel the same way.
    me++;
    Auswaertsspiel

Smell that, Rabbit?
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Quote Originally Posted by theprez98 View Post
    Smell that, Rabbit?
    *sniff sniff* ... Fear.
    Auswaertsspiel

Quote Originally Posted by floyd View Post
    *sniff sniff* ... Fear.
    Nope, just the beans I ate for lunch...

OOOOOhhhhh....THAT...Yep... that's fear!!

Fear of Google that is...

What I can never figure out is... if you are going to do something illegal like my gut is telling me the OP is... why would you broadcast this to the world? Or at least do a little better job of the "social engineering" part? I mean that's like going to rob a bank two counties over and wearing a ski mask the whole time driving there... in your own vehicle... with a sawed off shotgun in the gun rack in the rear window!
    In all large corporations, there is a pervasive fear that someone, somewhere is having fun with a computer on company time. Networks help alleviate that fear.
    -John C. Dvorak

DiggThis-09-f9-11-02-9d-74-e3-5b-d8-41-56-c5-63-56-88-c0

I honestly dont think this person is BSing us if he TRUELY has access to a cable off of the router. If that is the case then I wouldn't have a prob with giving a few tips, but I certainly wont walk anyone through anything when the info has already been posted and a quick search can find it out.

It really isn't that tough if you got wired access. I figured it out on my own so I'm sure others can too.
    If at first you don't succeed, keep sucking until you do suck seed. --Curly