Thread: BT3 USB Flash Installation

Just burned his ISO

Newbie here... Sorta. I've been reading all the posts involving this and have tried ALL of the ideas. I've got an 8GB flash drive with a 2GB partition (tried FAT AND FAT32) with "boot" and "BT" folders on it. I've revised the .bat file to include " -f" in both instances (as well as trying it without inserting that text) and no matter what I do I still get the "could not find kernel image" error. There is a "syslinux.cfg" file in the boot directory so I'm stumped! I've typed in the "/vmlenux initrd" suggestions at the "boot" prompt and neither that I've tried work.

Here's the dumbest part. I've got Backtrack 4 running in VMWare Fusion on my Mac but I don't have a wireless adapter yet to insert packets. I want to run Backtrack 3 USB off my flash drive on my Dell Inspiron 8600. I don't have a disk to burn or I would have tried that too. I'm trying to just get a simple Backtrack on a flash drive to boot my Dell.

Did I cover everything??? Any ideas? Thanks for any help in advance.

... and I just tried putting the BT4-pre-final.iso (breaking out the folders via WinRAR) on the flash drive the same way and once again, I got the same warning as previously. The only thing I can't figure out how to do is put the .iso file directly on the flash drive to see if that works. When I download the file, it becomes a .rar archive file. Trying to save it as an .iso file now. Not sure this makes a difference though.

Just burned his ISO

Default Turns out...

I knew just enough to get myself into trouble. I put the correct files in the root directory on my flash drive and my PC loaded BT4 just fine. I've even turned networking on and started BT4 blind since my backlight is out and I'm plugged into an external monitor. So BT4 is running great and I can get all the way to packet injection and that's where it all ends.

I've read all about how there were patches for IPW2200 and I've read back to BT2 solutions. What I don't know now is whether I need to implement any of them now because it seems BT4 includes the patches, but I'm assuming not, since my card won't inject packets. Understandably it's outdated. I'm trying to crack my Airport Express (WEP) network at home and have really enjoyed learning some of the ins and outs of Linux and BT. Teaching yourself from reading other peoples experiences can be a lot of fun, but extremely exasperating as well. Wondering if I can figure this out before I start my thesis next week.

Thanks again.