Thread: CD Tray Locks Shut (Live DVD)

Just burned his ISO

Default CD Tray Locks Shut (Live DVD)

Edit:
    Seems I accidentally posted this under Working Hardware instead of Non-Working Hardware where I wanted to post it . . . can't delete it now . . . so here it stays . . . should also mention the CD/DVD drives are working perfectly other than the tray not unlocking during shutdown or reboot.
    ------------
    I've presumed the CD/DVD tray is locked shut when using the Live DVD as the system needs to use it (in lieu of hard drive). However, when issuing a "reboot" or "halt" when finished using the Live DVD, a message comes up to remove the DVD and then press "Enter." The tray is still locked shut. Only after the machine is restarting, while going through BIOS POST, can the tray be opened.

The Live DVD locks the CD/DVD tray shut on two different machines . . .

1. HP 6515b laptop (uncertain if this is IDE or SATA . . . can't tell from Device Manager). Neither does the Device Instance ID give any clue as to the manufacturer of the drive (GSA-T20L ???).
    2. Custom built desktop with MSI K9A2 Platinum motherboard and Toshiba SH-S223Q SATA CD/DVD drive.

Anyone else experiencing this? Not a big annoyance . . . liveable . . . unexpected behavior though. Would be easier for the tray to unlock when expected than having to remember to push the tray button during POST (otherwise it reboots to BT). I'm assuming the signal being sent to unlock the CD/DVD tray and/or eject the DVD isn't being sent (properly) or perhaps isn't being received by the drive.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by jalind View Post
    Would be easier for the tray to unlock when expected than having to remember to push the tray button during POST (otherwise it reboots to BT)
    Set the BIOS boot priorities to hard drive, and not do CD/DVD drive. When you want to start BT3, just press enter when a prompt appear during reboot.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Snayler View Post
    Set the BIOS boot priorities to hard drive, and not do CD/DVD drive. When you want to start BT3, just press enter when a prompt appear during reboot.
    BT3 Live unlocked and ejected the disk at shutdown or reboot (Slax Linux).

BT4 Live (pre-final -- Ubuntu ??) doesn't do that (on either of my machines). If I set BIOS boot priority to boot from the primary (internal) HDD first, it doesn't ask if I want to boot from CD/DVD . . . no boot choices are offered . . . both machines mentioned go down the BIOS boot priority list until they find the first bootable drive.

I'm overtaking the problem on the desktop by installing BT4 on an external USB hard drive . . . setting USB external drive at a higher priority than the internal HDD. That allows controlling the drive booting by turning on the external drive when I want BT4 and turning it off when I want Windoze (it has a power switch).
    John

And how about installing bt4 on hdd or vmware?

Just burned his ISO

I'm running it in VMWare on the desktop right now, but it cannot use the PCI wireless card with any of the BT tools, nor can it use Pyrit ATi-Stream with the pair of ATi cards running crossfire in the host. I've been using it to create Live DVDs. That's what I'm using in the laptop.

Eventually I'll get BT4 onto a USB hard drive (which has a power switch) for use with the desktop box. If it's on, it will boot the USB drive, and if it's off it will boot the internal hard drive. Motive for that is not really the PCI WiFi card . . . it's the pair of ATi cards running Crossfire and Pyrit ATi-Stream plus additional storage for dictionaries. The PCI WiFi card is a fringe benefit allowing testing of tools on my "honeypot" AP.
    John

Just hit enter and when it reboots open the tray... its not an obligation to take it off :P
    :cool:
    Alienware M17x - Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme QX9300
    Dual Nvidia GeForce GTX 280M GPUs
    8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
    Dual 500GB