Thread: KDE Crashing - Noob with questions

Just burned his ISO

Question KDE Crashing - Noob with questions

Hello everyone,

So, Yes I'm a bit of a noob with both linux and back track. I have been playing with ubuntu for a year or so now, but I am still a noob to the linux world.

Recently I've been playing around with wireless security, and so after getting aircrack to work, and hearing about Backtrack I downloaded it, and installed it to a thumbdrive. Which I have partition into 3 parts. 8GB fat32, 4GB fat32, 4GB ext2.

My issue is that I only seem to be able to start BT3 with the
    "BT3 Graphics Mode (VESA KDE)"

Now what I really want it to start BT3
    " BT3 Graphics Mode with persistent changes"
    Since I've set up and configured it to save changes to the ext2 Partition

However when I try, everything seems to go fine other then I can't get a GUI to start. KDEd Crashes every time, and I'm not quite sure how to trouble shoot it.

Now I've looked around and read forums titles trying to solve it myself as to avoid a fury of "rtfm" or " this is covered in another post" BUT I can't seem to find a solution. Either I'm blind, or need a little bump in the right direction. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Change boot parameters to use VESA with changes. STFW for more.

And if you still can't find (understand ?) anything please go back to Ubuntu : it's easier to install and BT tools are available on it (like on every GNU/Linux distro).

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Moxie View Post
    Now I've looked around and read forums titles trying to solve it myself as to avoid a fury of "rtfm" or " this is covered in another post" BUT I can't seem to find a solution. Either I'm blind, or need a little bump in the right direction. Any help would be very much appreciated.
    Second the post above mine. Also you might want to upgrade to BT4 considering it is the newest and several times better.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.