Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No sound after installation

Default No sound after installation

hey guys, just wanted to report a loss of sound after install. on the live cd it works fine but after the install no sound can be heard. here is a picture of the configuration. maybe im doing something wrong? i havent changed anything so i figure it should work considering it works on the live cd :S

Until they become conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious...

just curious... can u run alsamixer? if so, try to UNmute TONE + 3d CONTROL, and check that IEC958 IS MUTED.
    I use an Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro, output via SPDIF-coax to Digital INPUT on my receiver... I found that muting the SPDIF/IEC958 (digital) surprisingly allows me to send all normal/analog sound out to my receiver via SPDIF, and anytime I play DD(dolby digital)/AC3 via MPlayer or xine it works properly as passthru!!

every new install of BT4beta/pre-final I do as mentioned above = UNmute TONE and 3d CONTROL, and check that "IEC958 (optical raw)" is MUTED. works for me everytime!

u probably have a different setup, just take a look, maybe it works for you?
    I am not sure if you are coming here to ask for help, or if u already know the solution and just want to document that you had issues from startup with yr card?

if you do request help, let us know the output of ::

cat /proc/asound/devices

cat /proc/asound/cards

[sudo] aplay -l

[sudo] aplay -L

[sudo] alsactl names
    cat /etc/asound.names

lspci -vv
    'see the fnords!'

Quote Originally Posted by SuspectZero View Post
    hey guys, just wanted to report a loss of sound after install. on the live cd it works fine but after the install no sound can be heard. here is a picture of the configuration. maybe im doing something wrong? i havent changed anything so i figure it should work considering it works on the live cd :S
    Set a password for root, then log in as root. That fixed my sound problem.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

yeah i'm having the same issue. I have installed on this pc 3 times, as was having problems with graphics, and in each of those times i had installed from usb stick, sounds worked until i had it installed on the pc hdd. I had set a root passwd on each occasion.

I'm pretty confused about it all.

Anyone else with similar problems? Better yet, resolutions?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ecsployt View Post
    yeah i'm having the same issue. I have installed on this pc 3 times, as was having problems with graphics, and in each of those times i had installed from usb stick, sounds worked until i had it installed on the pc hdd. I had set a root passwd on each occasion.

I'm pretty confused about it all.

Anyone else with similar problems? Better yet, resolutions?

Cheers
    Did you just set a password, or did you log in as root?
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Hi,
    Yeah I've been logging in as root.
    I aint too sure about getting wicd network manager to work as non root so have had to use root unfortunately, least until i get that sorted.

It's a strange bug this one!

Quote Originally Posted by ecsployt View Post
    It's a strange bug this one!
    give us the output of the commands I posted earlier... we should be able to help once we get more info.
    beings that the output will be alot of text, you are not going to want to post it all to this forum = u might wanna save the output to text files and post them to the internet (or use pastebin.com), and link to text files/pastebin links here so we can review.
    'see the fnords!'

SuspectZero try this man :

Go to the alsa website ( wxx.alsa-project.org ) and download the latest stable version of the "alsa-driver".save this file to your Desktop.

Install the tools necessary for compiling by running the following command

sudo apt-get install build-essential

Extract the alsa-driver file and enter the new folder by running

cd Desktop
    tar xjf alsa*
    cd alsa*

To compile and install the driver you need to run three simple commands as follows

./configure
    make
    sudo make install

and thats it. Reboot and see if it works.

Hi thanks for advice, i managed to get it working by entering in a shell:
    alsa force-reload , then rebooting my system! Hope this helps people.

Nice man,but if you want to update drivers,this will help you .But when u make updates don't forget to look supported kernel version,this can heppen too.

Have a nice day !

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast