Attempting to install the ATI driver package results in abysmal failure on BT4F. I think its expecting the older .29.x kernel, but i'm not sure. First off, it conflicts with the libgl-mesa-dev package when i try to do a simple apt-get install. Removing libgl-mesa-dev removes several other things too, which look like they may be useful for the driver:

root@bt:~# apt-get remove libgl1-mesa-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
libgl1-mesa-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libglu1-xorg-dev libqt4-dev libqt4-opengl-dev ophcrack xlibmesa-gl-dev
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 7 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 30.6MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
(Reading database ... 251230 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing ophcrack ...
Removing libqt4-opengl-dev ...
Removing libqt4-dev ...
Removing libglu1-xorg-dev ...
Removing libglu1-mesa-dev ...
Removing xlibmesa-gl-dev ...
Removing libgl1-mesa-dev ...
After that the apt-get install works, but configuration of the package fails and i run the ./make as instructed by the installer and posts on the old forum (i've not run anything semi-recent on ATI hardware, i dug up my predeployment desktop to crunch WPA with an x1950):

Reading package lists... Done
(text deleted - char limit)

WARNING: Symbol version dump /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.30.9/Module.symvers
is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.

CC [M] /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:41:2: error: #error unknown or undefined architecture configured
In file included from /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:169:
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.h:164:1: warning: "PM_EVENT_SUSPEND" redefined
In file included from /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.30.9/arch/x86/include/asm/apic.h:6,
from /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.30.9/arch/x86/include/asm/smp.h:13,
from include/linux/smp.h:36,
from include/linux/topology.h:33,
from include/linux/gfp.h:7,
from include/linux/kmod.h:22,
from include/linux/module.h:13,
from /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:91:
include/linux/pm.h:241:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.h:598:1: warning: "pgprot_writecombine" redefined
In file included from /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.30.9/arch/x86/include/asm/processor.h:19,
from include/linux/prefetch.h:14,
from include/linux/list.h:6,
from include/linux/module.h:9,

(text deleted char limit)

/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function 'KAS_Ih_Execute':
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:4183: warning: 'return' with no value, in function returning non-void
make[2]: *** [/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.30.9'
make: *** [kmod_build] Error 2
build failed with return value 2
*** WARNING ***
Tailored kernel module for fglrx not present in your system.
You must go to /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod subdir
and execute './make.sh' to build a fully customed kernel module.
Afterwards go to /lib/modules/fglrx and run './make_install.sh'
in order to install the module into your kernel's module repository.
(see readme.txt for more details.)

As of now you can still run your XServer in 2D, but hardware accelerated
OpenGL will not work and 2D graphics will lack performance.

failed.
insmod: error inserting 'fglrx.ko': -1 Invalid module format
aticonfig: No supported adapters detected
ln: creating symbolic link `/lib/modules/2.6.29.4/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/radeon': No such file or directory

The last line referencing the older kernel makes me think there's something static in the package thats not designed to work with the new .30.9 kernel. So i run the make.sh script anyway to get the following. Now i'm at a loss. Are the repos just outdated? Where should i go from here?

AMD kernel module generator version 2.1
./make.sh: line 368: [: =: unary operator expected
doing Makefile based build for kernel 2.6.x and higher
rm -rf *.c *.h *.o *.ko *.GCC* .??* *.symvers
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.30.9/build SUBDIRS=/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.30.9'

WARNING: Symbol version dump /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.30.9/Module.symvers
is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.

CC [M] /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:41:2: error: #error unknown or undefined architecture configured
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.h:164:1: warning: "PM_EVENT_SUSPEND" redefined
In file included from /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.30.9/arch/x86/include/asm/apic.h:6,
from /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.30.9/arch/x86/include/asm/smp.h:13,
from include/linux/smp.h:36,
from include/linux/topology.h:33,
from include/linux/gfp.h:7,
from include/linux/kmod.h:22,
from include/linux/module.h:13,
include/linux/pm.h:241:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.h:598:1: warning: "pgprot_writecombine" redefined
In file included from /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.30.9/arch/x86/include/asm/processor.h:19,
from include/linux/prefetch.h:14,
from include/linux/list.h:6,
from include/linux/module.h:9,
/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.30.9/arch/x86/include/asm/pgtable_types.h:278:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.h:602:1: warning: "pgprot_noncached" redefined
In file included from include/linux/mm.h:40,
from /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.30.9/arch/x86/include/asm/pci.h:4,
from include/linux/pci.h:1098,
from /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:98:
/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.30.9/arch/x86/include/asm/pgtable.h:11:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
In file included from /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/drmP.h:86,
from /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/drm_proc.h:41,
from /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:431:
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/drm_os_linux.h:45: error: conflicting types for 'irqreturn_t'
include/linux/irqreturn.h:16: error: previous declaration of 'irqreturn_t' was here
In file included from /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:431:
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/drm_proc.h: In function 'FGLDRM__vma_info':
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/drm_proc.h:497: warning: format '%08lx' expects type 'long unsigned int', but argument 5 has type 'phys_addr_t'
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function 'KCL_SetPageCache':
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:1205: warning: passing argument 1 of 'set_memory_wb' makes integer from pointer without a cast
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:1209: warning: passing argument 1 of 'set_memory_uc' makes integer from pointer without a cast
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function 'KCL_SetPageCache_Array':
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:1223: warning: unused variable 'ret'
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:1222: warning: unused variable 'i'
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function 'KCL_InstallInterruptHandler':
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:2721: warning: passing argument 2 of 'request_irq' from incompatible pointer type
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function 'KCL_MEM_VM_GetRegionPhysAddrStr':
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3205: warning: return makes pointer from integer without a cast
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3206: warning: return makes pointer from integer without a cast
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3207: warning: return makes pointer from integer without a cast
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3209: warning: return makes pointer from integer without a cast
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function 'KAS_Ih_Execute':
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:4183: warning: 'return' with no value, in function returning non-void
make[2]: *** [/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.30.9'
make: *** [kmod_build] Error 2
build failed with return value 2