Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kernel 2.6.30.5

Good friend of the forums Eatme's Avatar

I would rather keep 2.6.29.4 its stable and it works with everything and, 2.6.30.5 has issues installing/using stuff. Too much to configure and replace, just to install it.
    Wiffy-Auto-Cracker - was the best thing that ever happen to me. :) Wo0oT :)
    AWUSO36H_500mW_5dBi Antenna

Quote Originally Posted by Eatme View Post
    I would rather keep 2.6.29.4 its stable and it works with everything and, 2.6.30.5 has issues installing/using stuff. Too much to configure and replace, just to install it.
    I updated the kernel on a fresh installation and everything went fine. If you've already installed things on the old kernel, most of them will not be configured to work with the new kernel.

2.6.30.5 has issues installing/using stuff
    What "stuff"?
    Too much to configure and replace, just to install it.
    No, it's not.
    CLI should be your friend, not your enemy.
    SecurityTube has two new sections. Questions & News

Well..I once installed the kernel fine, but then the vmware tools stop working..so in order to fix that, you would have to fix the headers which is another stressful step i had to go through.

I actually did build the new headers for the new kernel fine but the vmware tools still wans't working.. so i asked for help and got no responce so i just said **** it, and went back to the old kernel.

Well..I once installed the kernel fine, but then the vmware tools stop working..so in order to fix that, you would have to fix the headers which is another stressful step i had to go through.

I actually did build the new headers for the new kernel fine but the vmware tools still wans't working.. so i asked for help and got no responce so i just said **** it, and went back to the old kernel.
    Out of curiosity, have you tried to install vmtools through apt-get or through VM menu?

Heh, this thread is starting to remind me of the old days, when you had to compile your own kernel update. None of this apt-get foolishness.

Developer

So you would rather have a kernel thats vulnerable to a exploit which is now public. Very smart thinking

Quote Originally Posted by Snayler View Post
    Out of curiosity, have you tried to install vmtools through apt-get or through VM menu?
    I did both on 2 different fresh installs.

Actually as I can remember, I do remember "installing" the tools but when i went to go configure the tools "vmware-configure-tools.pl" I got some error which i forgot now.

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    So you would rather have a kernel thats vulnerable to a exploit which is now public. Very smart thinking
    Yes, of course. How vulnerable can a exploit be with no INTERNET connection and the OS is install on a vmware. :

I never use the INTERNET connection, while on BT unless im "apt-get" (thats what the vmware tools are for.)

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    Very smart thinking
    thank you.

How vulnerable can a exploit be with no INTERNET connection and the OS is install on a vmware.
    Exploit??
    That's new... I didn't knew that an exploit could have internet connection...

I never use the INTERNET connection, while on BT unless im "apt-get" (thats what the vmware tools are for.)
    I don't think that you need vmtools to share host's internet with guest...

Quote Originally Posted by Snayler View Post
    Exploit??
    That's new... I didn't knew that an exploit could have internet connection...
    lol...you read my post wrong.

Im saying how can the exploit even work without "me" having an INTERNET connection.

Even if ^thats not a problem for the exploit to work, im guessing you have to be in my area and penetrate my vmware box, but again to do that ill have to be connected to the INTERNET. Which goes back to my post.

Thats like me downloading a file with no modem.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast