Thread: Using CUDA with VirtualBox

Just burned his ISO

Default Using CUDA with VirtualBox

I generally run BT4 from a VM using virtualbox, I have recently tried to use cuda with pyrit and am having trouble. I checked to be sure my Graphics card nVidia 9400M was compatible with cuda, then installed the nvidia-driver package and the cpyrit-cuda as well as some other cuda packages, like cuda-toolkit, after just installing cpyrit didnt work.

After installing what should be the necessary components I get an error when I run "pyrit list_cores"

Code:
    root@bt4-pre:/# pyrit list_cores
    Pyrit 0.2.3-dev (C) 2008, 2009 Lukas Lueg pyrit.googlecode.com
    This code is distributed under the GNU General Public License v3

The ESSID-blobspace seems to be empty; you should create an ESSID...

FATAL: Error inserting nvidia (/lib/modules/2.6.29.4/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko): No such device
    NVIDIA: failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module.
    The following cores seem available...
    #1:   'CPU-Core (x86)'
    Running 'modprobe nvidia' results this:
    Code:
    root@bt4-pre:/# modprobe nvidia
    FATAL: Error inserting nvidia (/lib/modules/2.6.29.4/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko): No such device
    Is there something else I am missing, or is virtualbox not capable of accessing the grphics card properly? The host machine is a MacBook incase that matters at all.

Developer

Cuda will not work in a virtualized environment because the VM can not access the physical hardware. You wll have to use it as a live cd or a usb or a hard drive install.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    Cuda will not work in a virtualized environment because the VM can not access the physical hardware. You wll have to use it as a live cd or a usb or a hard drive install.
    Ok that is what I was starting to think, guess I'll be installing to a partition tonight then. Thanks.