Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replace Macbook Pro Wireless Card

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Replace Macbook Pro Wireless Card

I haven't seen anyone take apart the screen with out destroying the glass. iFixit didn't take apart the screen because then they can't sell it.

Neither have I. After tirelessly searching, I have yet to find a screen deconstruction. I've found many replacement glass screens for the 13" MBPs, but no details on how to take it apart.

As far as I'm concerned, I like my warranty, and I like my MBP in one piece, so I'm sticking with the Alfa AWUS036H
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seshan View Post
    I haven't seen anyone take apart the screen with out destroying the glass. iFixit didn't take apart the screen because then they can't sell it.
    That's because a REAL hardware tech doesn't go putting it on the internet or showing it to everyone, for whatever the reason.

Let me assure you all before we end up in a fear mongering session about ye ol' mac's. And also before this thread goes much further away from the purpose of this site.

You can replace the card, it's called the AirPort card and it is very common to do so. You can deconstruct the screen, and most of the entire top case even on the unibodies. If there is a part, you can change it. If you can't, you send it back, apple send you a new one (the entire assembly, for example).

Trying to do it yourself voids your first year warranty and any subsequent applecare you try to buy.

Get a USB stick.
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitsnik View Post
    That's because a REAL hardware tech doesn't go putting it on the internet or showing it to everyone, for whatever the reason.

Let me assure you all before we end up in a fear mongering session about ye ol' mac's. And also before this thread goes much further away from the purpose of this site.

You can replace the card, it's called the AirPort card and it is very common to do so. You can deconstruct the screen, and most of the entire top case even on the unibodies. If there is a part, you can change it. If you can't, you send it back, apple send you a new one (the entire assembly, for example).

Trying to do it yourself voids your first year warranty and any subsequent applecare you try to buy.

Get a USB stick.
    Good thing I'm a real Mac Technician. The 13" MacBook Pro has a separate airport card. It's very propriatary and really can't be replaced with anything else. The antenna and card are housed in the hinge areas under the display. It's the only non metal or glass part on the outside of the case. I'm pretty sure the newer 15" MacBook Pro airport card is the same, don't feel like downloading the service manual just to check. Now the older pre-unibody MacBook Pros had a standard mini-pci express wifi card. Those might be replaceable, I'm not sure. I don't have anything but Macs with that kind of card at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by xX_Spiidey_Xx
    Neither have I. After tirelessly searching, I have yet to find a screen deconstruction. I've found many replacement glass screens for the 13" MBPs, but no details on how to take it apart.

As far as I'm concerned, I like my warranty, and I like my MBP in one piece, so I'm sticking with the Alfa AWUS036H
    We haven't done component repair on the display since the Titanium MacBook Pro came out. The whole display gets replaced.
    Last edited by Barry; 03-14-2010 at 04:42 AM.

So a Alfa AWUS036H is the best card to get?

Quote Originally Posted by tmasterslayer View Post
    So a Alfa AWUS036H is the best card to get?
    In my opinion, and the opinion of many others, it is one of the best. This is the card I bought and use after much research on the subject.
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12