Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replace Macbook Pro Wireless Card

Default Replace Macbook Pro Wireless Card

Can I replace the wireless card in my Late 2009 13" macbook pro with a different one so that I can use it to hack WiFi while running Backtrack 4 in VMware or Virtual box? If so which wireless card would I get?

I did a search and couldn't find anything. Sorry if this question has been asked before.

Default Re: Replace Macbook Pro Wireless Card

In virtual machines you need a USB WLAN

Quote Originally Posted by tmasterslayer View Post
    Can I replace the wireless card in my Late 2009 13" macbook pro with a different one so that I can use it to hack WiFi while running Backtrack 4 in VMware or Virtual box? If so which wireless card would I get?

I did a search and couldn't find anything. Sorry if this question has been asked before.
    Like halfdone says, you can replace it with whatever you want, it still won't work in vmware. Virtual machines HAVE to use usb wifi adapters. I've not tried replacing a wifi card in a mac yet, not sure if it will work. You'll need drivers for it.

Furthermore:

I don't know if Apple has soldered the cards to the board, but AFAIK, it'd be a standard Broadcom MiniPCI card installed, depending on your MBP model. I've got a 5,5 and just use a USB Alfa AWUS036H when I dual boot, or run BT4 in my VM.

If you want to use your Broadcrap card, or if you install a new, aircrack-ng compatible card, you'll have to live boot, or install. I've written a detailed howto on installing BT4 Final on a Mac (I of course used my MBP for this), which you can find here: xX_Spiidey_Xx's BT4 Tuts: Installing Back|Track 4 Final On Mac Computers
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xX_Spiidey_Xx View Post
    I don't know if Apple has soldered the cards to the board, but AFAIK, it'd be a standard Broadcom MiniPCI card installed, depending on your MBP model.
    I'm not the hardware tech in my office, but that sounds about right.

You will void your warranty trying it though. Definitely worth getting a USB device, much more portable should you get another laptop or use two or three in the same fashion I do.
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitsnik View Post
    You will void your warranty trying it though.
    Oh yeah, right. By the way, it'll void your warranty. Thanks Gits, you always get me in check
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.

Just burned his ISO

i just bought the Airlink101 Wireless 11N Mini USB Adapter, because i heard in order to hack wifi, you need an usb dongle. would this work too? it says it supports mac os x.

hey guys, =]
    i just bought the wireless usb dongle, it's airlink product and it says it supports mac so i am guessing this should work?
    yea i am a newb too... i have a quick question. what's difference between virtual machines and VMware fusion? i cant find the program called virtual machines... i found virtual box but i am not too clear about this... is there any link?
    sorry and thank you for your time guys!!! =]
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 03-13-2010 at 08:49 PM.

Just burned his ISO

The card is built into the main board, it would be imposible to change. ifixit.com did a deconstruction that shows the innards.

MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Teardown - Page 2 - iFixit

Just burned his ISO

YOU CAN NOT REPLACE THE CARDS! They are built into the screen half that you can not take apart., And it won't work in VMware anyways. The only new Macbook you can replace the card on is the Plastic Unibody Macbook, even then, it's a proprietary card. http://s1.guide-images.ifixit.com/ig...SAtD4WDF.large
    Last edited by Seshan; 03-13-2010 at 05:20 PM.

thanks for pointing this out, guys. But, I do have to call into curiosity, after having looked over MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Teardown - Page 2 - iFixit, I didn't see a wifi card, or antenna (assumedly wrapped around the screen). This teardown only goes as far as removing the logic board; nothing behind the screen is shown.

And yes, it is possible to replace/take apart the screen portion of a 13" 5,5 MBP.
    Last edited by xX_Spiidey_Xx; 03-13-2010 at 10:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast