Thread: Logging in to BT4??

Just burned his ISO

Default Logging in to BT4??

Ok, so I am booting BT4 from a live USB Disk. When I boot in and everything loads I get the command line "root@bt" so I type in "root" for the username and then "toor" for the password. Nothing happens, then I try to put in "sudo passwd root" it then asked me to put in "New UNIX Password" which I put in root then it asks again for confirm, I put in root. Neither worked. Then I tried it again using "toor" for the UNIX password... That did not work.

The only other thing I could get is type "apt-get--install-root-system-bin" Which that loads another huge screen up and then says I am unable to obtain all the files. No idea what to do, any help is most appreciated. Thanks

Default Re: Logging in to BT4??

When you say nothing happens, does it go back to a prompt:

Code:
    bt#>root
                  (enter your password..)
                  bt#>
    Something similar? Sorry, pulling off of memory Im at work right now? If so, then something did happen, you are now root, try:

Code:
    bt#>startx
    That will load the GUI, but if im not mistaken the sudo passwd root changes the root password, so no, "toor" will not work if the password was changed

The live image logs you in automagically; no need for you to enter username and password.

The "root@bt" that you mention in your post is your shell prompt. If you don't know what that means, perhaps you might consider starting with an easier distro than Backtrack.

Ubuntu is nice, and it's a good place to start learning since BT4 is based off of it.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks Ghost, "Startx" worked and loaded up BT4. Whitelisted you actually bring up an interesting point. I understand the shell fine, however I am a student for Security Systems so my professor actually has us reviewing the tools that are within BT4. This is obviously an advanced security distro, so I really am a bit out of my league, however it is my course of study and I do intend on becoming a security professional so I shall learn little by little. I'm not entirely clueless, I am in the course of study for CCNA and I do have a handle on TCP/IP and networking. Any resources that anyone may have to work upon would be greatly appreciated. I do have Ubuntu on my PC as well as "The Official Ubuntu Book" to keep on the side, so I am reviewing that currently as well. Yes, I know I have a long way to go! However I look forward to it. Thanks again for getting me going and up and running on this.

Since it's VERY clear that you are VERY new to Linux, I'm going to suggest that you go no further with BackTrack until you understand the basics of the operating system. Start with Ubuntu, as whitelisted mentioned above. It's easy to start with, and there's plenty of help available to you if you GOOGLE FIRST.

A brief explanation of this situation:

When you put your disc in, and boot/reboot your box, you'll get a prompt when it's done loading. It looks like this:
    Code:
    root@bt:
    This means that you are LOGGED IN as root, on the machine named bt. There is no login prompt.

If you were to be asked to login, it would look like this:
    Code:
    login:
    I assure you, there is nothing wrong here. Just a simple PEBKAC. Next time, please read the FAQ, and/or search the forum.
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.