Thread: Truecrypt + Time Machine

Default Truecrypt + Time Machine

I'm trying to get Apple's Time Machine to back up to a TrueCrypt encrypted partition and failing horribly. I was able to get Time Machine to at least acknowledge my TrueCrypt partition by typing the following in

defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1

but when I select my TrueCrypt volume, nothing happens. Or more to the point, Time Machine doesn't actually start using that partition. If anyone has ever gotten this to work I'd really like to hear about your experiences. I realize I could just use file-vault, but I'd really perfer to use full hard disk encryption instead.

Quote Originally Posted by lakiw View Post
    I'm trying to get Apple's Time Machine to back up to a TrueCrypt encrypted partition and failing horribly. I was able to get Time Machine to at least acknowledge my TrueCrypt partition by typing the following in

defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1

but when I select my TrueCrypt volume, nothing happens. Or more to the point, Time Machine doesn't actually start using that partition. If anyone has ever gotten this to work I'd really like to hear about your experiences. I realize I could just use file-vault, but I'd really perfer to use full hard disk encryption instead.
    It's not going to work. Even with filevault you have to be logged out for it to back up. The "easiest" way to get a backup is to cron a rsync command to copy the partition to an external drive.

Thanks for the reply. Since there's always hope I just want to clarify: I'm not trying to backup a truecrypt encrypted file. I'm trying to backup my unencrypted files to a truecrypt encrypted partition which is currently mounted.

Quote Originally Posted by lakiw View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Since there's always hope I just want to clarify: I'm not trying to backup a truecrypt encrypted file. I'm trying to backup my unencrypted files to a truecrypt encrypted partition which is currently mounted.
    Damn dude!! That's way overkill to hide some pr0n!

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

TimeMachine detects (IIRC, and I may not be considering it's been how many months since I sat my exams) certain aspects of the drive that is mounted or not.

You should have no issue backing up to a TC drive across a network though you may have to jump through some hoops to get it to happen, continuing that thought (and trying to remember the law firm I set this up for), you can TC to a local share (or, like Barry said, some rsync).

A simpler option (and one that works better than the PoS TM and it's deletion of delta's because it can) is to use something like rdiff-backup to your truecrypted volume.
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Damn dude!! That's way overkill to hide some pr0n!
    Depends on how strange the pr0n is.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.