Thread: realtek RTL8187 b/g usb wireless adapter

Just burned his ISO

Default realtek RTL8187 b/g usb wireless adapter

The usb drivers for this is provided on cd I got with it (ebay purchase btw, with a 12db antenna) but they are sources and fail compile in backtrack. I've head some websites and this one said was provided in kernel 2.6.23, so I couldn't find which kernel without booting atm but if its NOT the correct kernel. Can someone else suggest a proper driver that will support kismet and other wireless forensic tools?

(since cannot post link look for "rtl-wifi" on sourceforge for info I got)

currently using:
    realtek RTL8187 b/g usb (has rp sma adapter with larger antenna)
    macbook 2.2ghz dual2
    2 gig ram
    backtrack pre-final, as live cd
    (currently running xp, osx on hd. so install will require some expert partition')

Mate I have the same card and I know it works in BT4 with no external drivers
    needed.

Just burned his ISO

Default ?

ok.. I'll ask cause curious.. Did you have to take any other steps to make them work? Is it an internal card, usb or pcmia? I'll be honest I'm rusty on linux, not really used it for months, but I've tried general methods. lspci does not show it, but the light on usb blinks. cird (I think it was called) showed the preinstalled wifi device but not usb. I unplugged, rebooted but nothing. I even installed and loaded ndiswrapper, loaded windows driver and nada.

I have yet to try some methods I saw here in forum, but it was my understanding it wasn't needed so I didn't as of yet.

Just burned his ISO

Default maybee help

maybee this'll help others, I dunno.. (Now trying to get my gps working). dmesg did show it being plugged in, so I tried lsusb and it showed. I googled "kismet RTL8187" and got this site which helped alot

linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-wireless-networking-41/kismet.conf-and-rtl8187...howto-configure-564411

basically kismet by default was looking for wifi0, which does not exist on the two pcs I've ran backtrack.. So i changed it to wlan0 and for good measure madwifi to "rt8180". IT WORKED! it detected my test router "dlink" and even saw the next door neighbors wifi.

Ok so maybee everybody else here but me knew wifi0 didn't exist but if this helps one person I'm happy

various drivers will use various interface naming conventions. wifi0 is for cisco aironet/atheros based chipsets.

Just burned his ISO

Default 8187L not working ??? ;)

as it is ra0 for railink chipsets and wlan0 for realtek chipsets.

Would someone of the mods please delete this whole post.

I don't want to step on anyones toes, but the Raltek 8187L chipset is as we all know one the best supported w-lan chipsets ever.

By the way...watch for the variants:

8187B = total crap

8187L = nice

8187L if combined with a LNA (low noise amplifier) = "the reference"

it's also important that the circuits on which the chipsets are mounted on are designed for temperature stability
    a very big heat sink alone for itself (like the Auslinx 800-1000mW adaptors have one) is not sufficient for a stable operating point!
    old enough 2 know better, but young enough to not see a reason for

Just burned his ISO

Default lol

lol no, why would that be stepping on... I may not have known alot about it, or read alot of pages but most people might not even know the kernel just recently supported these.. If thats not known a person might not even know it was around... Not saying I didn't ask alot of stupid questions.. I reserve that right and being said learnt a bit playing around with this crap.

Also. I'm not the only person to ask about it.. While the help is indisputable I did figure some stuff out (again) about linux as well.

Maybee instead of removing posts without info... there should be sticky's or updated wiki with supported hardware lists, known problems or even "my rig"s's's's

If I'm an example of anything its that a specific distribution does not mean you need, should have, will have prior knowledge. Efficient with linux or just full of stupid questions..

Just burned his ISO

Default pls excuse:)

You are totally right, please excuse my "grummly" and stupid answer.

For sure, let the thread live

..., or read alot of pages but most people might not even know the kernel just recently supported these.. If thats not known a person might not even know it was around...
    That is a pity, that we really should/have to change/work on!

When it comes to high quality HF/W-LAN hardware with good driver support (for every single OS) people always
    tend to name devices based on atheros chipsets.

The really have been the reference for quite a long time!

But today some devices especially with Railink and Realtek chipsets are on the same level than the atheros based ones if not even better!

Vendors like ALFA NETWORK, ARGtek, GSKY-link and Zioncom try their best to produce high quality w-lan eqipment with excellent input sensibility and noise reduced and temperature stabilized amplif. of the tx signal.

These devices are quite unpopular as these (little) Producers from Taiwan are not so well known
    besides "the scene" we are moving in.

For no single reason, like it is my opinion!

I guess the vendors/producers can not invest as much of their budget in marketing and promotion campaigns,
    as the big companys can do/ afford to.

Everybody tends to get a Linksys, just because it's a brand by Cisco Systems.

Don't get me wrong Linksys/Cisco produces great hardware, even in their consumer section.
    For example the routers like the legendary WRT54GL which i compiled and "hardware-hacked"
    my fingers wound on and had a lot of fun with

But when it comes to stable long range connections my "client/weapon of choice" would always be an ALFA,
    an ARGtek or the new stunning Zioncom (WL0162). Because they are so powerful an relieable.
    The used chipsets are well supported and documented.

The external RP-SMA antenna connectors make them upgradable for extreme point to point links and the latest features
    of the new drivers make them capable of 802.1x /CCX /AP+WDS usage and even mesh networking!

Not more to say than : nice,nice nice!

The new outdoor devices from ALFA Network UBDo-g and UBDo-a/N,
    (IP65 class outdoor versions of the ALFA AWUS036H , ALFA AWUS050NH V2)
    are the consequent reaction of the vendor to our crys and shouts for, let's call it extended wireless application fields.

If you have any need on further information on devices of ALFA etc., chipsets, the installation and the handling of new drivers (every OS, even 64bit ones , Solaris and BSD) please feel free to contact me any time.

I am willing to help out, as far as my little possibilities and little knowledge
    on HF-Technology and software allows to.

Best regards

casp@ruff
    old enough 2 know better, but young enough to not see a reason for

Quote Originally Posted by casp@ruff View Post
    as it is ra0 for railink chipsets and wlan0 for realtek chipsets.
    ra0 is the legacy non-USB based ralink chipset interface names. The current mac80211 based driver will name the very same non-USB based ralink chipset (if supported) as wlan0.

wlan0 is pretty much a generic chipset interface naming convention for all mac80211 based drivers as well as some really legacy driver interface naming. For those based on mac80211 stack will not only get wlan0 but also wmaster0 (though I think wmaster0 will be phased out eventually, don't quote me on it however).

This is why specifying just an interface is no longer a walk in the park in identifying the driver.

use this in pre-final
    after connecting the Dongle
    modprobe rtl8187
    iwconfig
    there should be wlan0 interface and one more thing those drivers are already in 2.6.29.3 kernel.always search first as I think lots of people have made thread on same topic.