Thread: Been a while - using tut, stuck at injection

Hybrid View

Default Been a while - using tut, stuck at injection

Hi all. I finally ordered and recieved the old Alfa.

But I am stuck at injection. I associate just fine...

My problem: the read packet count goes up, but I get 0 ARP requests and 0 Acks...sent packets, 0, after trying injection.

Injection test says injection is working, as seen here:

For information, no action required: Using gettimeofday() instead of /dev/rtc
    18:49:07 Trying broadcast probe requests...
    18:49:07 Injection is working!
    18:49:09 Found 13 APs

18:49:09 Trying directed probe requests...
    18:49:09 xxxxxxxxxxxxxx - channel: 6 - 'xxxxxxxxx'
    18:49:13 Ping (min/avg/max): 0.068ms/111.880ms/160.466ms Power: 56.79
    18:49:13 29/30: 96%

Not sure if there are tutorials for the alfa anywhere here, specifically, I am searching but probably missing them. I will continue to look.

I was going to get the new Alfa, but the distributor said they tested it and it's not so hot...

One more question: with the Alfa, do I need to set my mac to the same as the ap's mac?
    *I'm a girl, not a guy. Why do I care? The same reason a guy would care if he was constantly thought of as a girl...*

Quote Originally Posted by sandaili View Post
    One more question: with the Alfa, do I need to set my mac to the same as the ap's mac?
    Obviously not! I assume you're trying to crack WEP, but did you read and understand the WEP cracking process? You need to set your MAC to your interface MAC (or don't set at all, since the program will assume your interface MAC automatically), or if MAC filtering is enabled, set it to an allowed MAC.

My problem: the read packet count goes up, but I get 0 ARP requests and 0 Acks...sent packets, 0, after trying injection.
    Have you tried using deauth?

First of all, which tutorial are you following?
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by kazalku View Post
    First of all, which tutorial are you following?
    Yes, I am cracking WEP. Sorry about that.

I would have added it but I have less than 15 posts so I couldn't LOL.

I do understand the process, as best I can...but there is always room for misunderstanding as I am not a programmer or anything. So I read and understand as much as I can, but I know I'm not ever going to be an expert I do find this stuff very interesting, and I am trying to learn. I do read the official ng pages. The first time I ever did crack my router it was from reading them, not tutorials. So please forgive me if I end up sound stupid - I went through this when I switched to linux from Windows for 2 years...distro-hopping, but it was different because I gave up Windows for real, so the learning was necessary because I was risking my data, pictures, movies, and all by not understanding when I installed. Did I understand linux? Well, I understand the basicas and I can get by. But I still get things wrong sometimes.

At first I thought perhaps I am too far from the AP (it's across the apartment) but I wonder if that is not the case. I can see the network fairly strong in Kismet, and on my Windows laptop. Yet, 0 ARP. I can auth/deauth successfully. Fragment attacks don't work, they just get 0 replies from the router.

The only way I can get ARP's is by trying to connect (with the wrong pass) to the router through my Windows laptop. Then, the ARP's start going, up to 3, and I get maybe 50 to 100 ivs, then it slows down and stops. Only when I do that, do they go up, by about 100 each time. Of course, I can't sit at the laptop and do that over and over again to get 1,000,000 LOL!

I have tried a lot of aireplay attacks, and all of them respond as if I am too far away (same apartment, about 1,000 sq foot, and it's on the other side). Yet it shows as very strong in Kismet and airodump. So I am thinking the new Linksys we have is not vulnerable or is ignoring my requests. Yet I wonder why it ignores them from me but responds to the Windows computer. That is the part I do not understand, because I can successfully associate from BT3 or BT4.

The reason I asked about the mac was because a few years ago I remember having to do some mac spoofing, in order to get my unsupported wifi card to work. Back then I didn't have injection, either.

I didn't think I would have to on this, but a few tutorials I've read are going into macchanger -mac and changing the mac....so I just wanted to ask and see if I was missing something. Thanks for clearing it up.

We can get our old crappy router cracked in about half an hour, but the new linksys is a WRT54G2, and it's set on WEP (we thought that would be easy!) but it seems to either not respond to us (I can spend forever on different attacks and it does not give any more ivs unless I try to connect through windows). I guess this is a good thing for our router! It must be ignoring my requests...even though I can successfully associate with it.

But we use WPA anyway for our real network. I was just wondering if it was something I was doing wrong, but I read that some routers now are not so vulnerable to aireplay attacks.

Since I can successfully crack the old one I'll assume my card (the Alfa) is working fine. I know I will have more questions as I progress, though.

Instead of spending all day laying more cable so I could put my AP closer to my main computer, I spent all day (okay an hour) installing BT4 onto my lappy. I was going to use BT3 but I ended up going for the installer instead. So now I have a dual boot and it's working great.

My apartment was built in the 60's. All the outlets we have are two prong, ungrounded crap.... we replaced a few outlets so we could have modern appliances LOL.

Anyway we have (count em) one phone jack and one in for cable. Woo. The router is in the living room.

Now that I move my lappy closer the Alfa works wonderfully. I figured either that was it or I was misunderstanding. Thanks so much for all your help guys.
    *I'm a girl, not a guy. Why do I care? The same reason a guy would care if he was constantly thought of as a girl...*