I've gone through Xploitz's excellent tutorials for the last three days and still can't get anything to work, no matter how much tinkering I do.

I'm trying to connect to a WPA2-PSK TKIP+AES encrypted access point from CLI, since wicd hangs at "Validating Authentication."

My process is typically to the effect of
ifconfig wlan0 up
iwconfig wlan0 essid "my ssid"
chmod 755 /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
wpa_supplicant -Dwext -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

I've been juggling variables in wpa_supplicant.conf, but what SHOULD work (according to Xploitz' tutorials and my AP settings) is:
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=0
ap_scan=2 #I've attempted 0-4 with no success)
fast_reauth=1
network={
ssid="my ssid"
key_mgmt=RSN
proto=WPA-PSK
pairwise=CCMP TKIP
group=CCMP TKIP
psk="plaintext passphrase"
}

My card is an Intel Pro Wireless 5100. I've tested monitoring and injection capabilities with BT4, and they were very successful. I simply can't authenticate with my AP for normal internet access.
Self-checks:
wlan0 is in managed mode

ap_scan 1 with -d in wpa_supplicant will display my AP as-listed in the .conf, along with its bssid and other information, under "non-WPA networks" (the network is DEFINITELY WPA2 TKIP+AES, and I can connect under XP), and with an error of "SSID

ap_scan 2 does nothing notable, except hang without ever associating. "Trying to authenticate with SSID: "my ssid", and after approximately a minute, "authentication with 00:00:00:00:00:00 failed".
The SSID and BSSID show up associated in airodump-ng, iwlist scan, etc. Why doesn't wpa_supplicant see the bssid?

Any ideas? I can provide more information at necessary but I'm posting from XP so proper readouts aren't easily obtained. Thanks.

I made a new thread because Xploitz's tutorial seemed to center around BT2-3 and none of the information therein (from Xploitz posts or otherwise) have altered the problem in any way.