Thread: Can I?

Hybrid View

Thumbs up Can I?

Can I use BT4 to acess files that I encyrpted in windows?
    I have a external hard drive which I lent to my brother. I didn't want him to delete my stuff so I removed permissions and encypted my files.
    I now have a new lappy as I dropped my old one and I can't acess the files on the new one? All my stuff is backed up on there. Any help much appreciated?

If you used TrueCrypt or some other multi-platform encryption software then yes.

Need more info....

Thanks for the reply mate. No I just used the standard right click properties advance option. I have taken ownership of the files and given myself full permissions but ever time I try to acess it says i don't have permision.
    Can I just open them in BT or will I need to use some thing more specific?
    Thank you.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

It would seem as though if you didn't export the certificate from your old machine you're pretty much SOL.

How to remove file or folder encryption in Windows XP
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

[QUOTE=streaker69;148448]It would seem as though if you didn't export the certificate from your old machine you're pretty much SOL.

/support.microsoft.com/kb/308993/]How to remove file or folder encryption in Windows XP

Thanks mate, I got that link in google before. Hmm I will try BT see what happens. Will research it some more if no joy, will let you know how I get on.
    Thanks for the help.

I am going to kick my brother's head in LOL.
    Yes you are right I am "SOL". There is probably a way which involves a lot more expertise than I posses.