Thread: Debian Guide?

Just burned his ISO

Default Debian Guide?

Noob question...

I have downloaded BackTrack 4 and installed it in VMware as a hard drive installation. I'm trying to become more familiar with the OS. In the forum, I read the "If you're a Linux noob, read this thread", or most of it anyway. It's 11 pages long so I may have missed something.

When exploring BackTrack 4, it looks like Debian GNU/Linux. Is there a guide similar to Slackware Linux Essentials for Debian? I'm looking at the Debian GNU/Linux Desktop Survival Guide and it seems pretty good. Any other suggesitons?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by b4ck-tr4kkr View Post
    "If you're a Linux noob, read this thread"
    Good starting point!

I think they just copied the BT3 thread... BT is based on Ubuntu, but uses KDE instead of GNOME as Desktop Manager. You can follow nearly every Ubuntu guide to learn the basics like apt-get, shell and a lot more shell stuff

But we all recommend to install Ubuntu too and only use Backtrack when you do something Pentesting related

And never forget: Google is your friend
    Auswaertsspiel

Just burned his ISO

Thanks Barry and Floyd,

Yes, I was looking at the BT 3 link. I was wondering what I should look at for BT 4 to get to know the underlying OS. I'm familiar with OpenBSD, CentOS, and have used Ubuntu at user level. I'm reading the Debian GNU/Linux Desktop Survival Guide. I definitely want references that are command line based, not guides on how to use the GUI's.

I like Slackware Linux Basics and wondered if there were such a guide for Debian or I guess Ubuntu. There are probably many such guides for Ubuntu. I'll search around.

As per Floyd, Google is my friend.