Thread: Change certain system files in Live USB with persistent changes

Just burned his ISO

Hello guys,

I want to configure Backtrack 4 pre-final to ask for authentication at startup (so that the passphrase used to login can be used to decrypt an encrypted partition).
    However, I seemed to be unable to set a root password, the shadow file was always set back to the empty password configuration when I rebooted. This has not been happening since I added a normal user. The shadow file now remembers the changes I make on it (can somebody explain this to me?)

Now I'm stuck with the attempt to disable the auto-authentication "feature". I tried to edit the /etc/event.d/tty* files and remove the "-f root" argument to /bin/login, but here as well, the changes are not remembered across the reboots. Is there a workaround for this?

Greetings,
    Niklas

Hi,

I figured it out by myself in the meantime, so here is the solution in case someone is having the same problem: Certain system files like the /etc/event.d/tty* are changed on startup by some scripts beneath the directory /scripts/casper in the initrd.gz. I needed to unpack it using cpio, change the scripts and compress it again.

Greetings,
    Niklas

Just burned his ISO

Ah, that is exactly the piece of information I was searching for :Z The forum search doesn't seem to be my friend.

Greetings,
    Niklas