Thread: obtaining vista usernames

Default obtaining vista usernames

Ok, so running nbtscan over my network on my xp test machine I retrieve netbios info - such as PCname, workgroup and occasionaly usernames which are used on the system.

Running nbtscan on my vista test machine I only see the the PCname and workgroup!

Is there anyway to retrieve usernames over the network for vista? Anything better than nbtscan? I usually use nmap for scanning my network, however there seems to be no 'username' feature!

Well maybe doing some more research on your own would be nice

Vista is locked tighter down than XP by default.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Quote Originally Posted by ruddyrum View Post
    Ok, so running nbtscan over my network on my xp test machine I retrieve netbios info - such as PCname, workgroup and occasionaly usernames which are used on the system.

Running nbtscan on my vista test machine I only see the the PCname and workgroup!

Is there anyway to retrieve usernames over the network for vista? Anything better than nbtscan? I usually use nmap for scanning my network, however there seems to be no 'username' feature!
    Try searching for Evgenii Rudnyi.

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    Well maybe doing some more research on your own would be nice
    I only use this forum as a last resort, as this ridiculous comment always arises! If i were to post a reply saying "merry Christmas everyone", someone without doubt would reply " do some research fool... its summer!"

Anyways, during my research i did find various scripts which are meant to solve my issue, however they where quiet dated and only work with xp. I have just downloaded the cpp files from Evgenii coded in 1998 but fingers crossed that this works with vista!!

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

I only use this forum as a last resort, as this ridiculous comment always arises! If i were to post a reply saying "merry Christmas everyone", someone without doubt would reply " do some research fool... its summer!"
    Anyways, during my research i did find various scripts which are meant to solve my issue, however they where quiet dated and only work with xp. I have just downloaded the cpp files from Evgenii coded in 1998 but fingers crossed that this works with vista!!
    One of the better threads here on the forum will help you out tremendously,
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/ann...asant-one.html
    Specifically numbers 3,4,5.
    It boils down to this, do your research then show a little effort by applying what you have learned into your post/s, then when you don't get the best answer ( or one that suits your liking) don't complain about it!
    In addition I would also suggest you spend some time looking into/at the nmap scanning engine.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

I would also suggest you spend some time looking into/at the nmap scanning engine
    Was that so hard? I never knew that nmap can make use of scripts! it's a doddle once one knows how!

Danke!

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Was that so hard? I never knew that nmap can make use of scripts! it's a doddle once one knows how!

Danke!
    Well we will never know all things however there is a lot that can be learned simply by searching.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.