Thread: Dhcp

Just burned his ISO

Default Dhcp

I've been using backtrack for the last couple of days, and I have run into a problem I really dodn't know how to fix

When starting backtrack I do:

#After boot
    startx
    /etc/init.d/networking start
    /etc/init.d/wicd start

#Then I start wicd

I haven't setup the services for boot yet as I have been customizing other things (And haven't learned how to yet). But today after going home (and wireless internet working at the job) I cannot seem to get on Wifi with backtrack. It trys to connect and says validating but I never get an IP.

The last thing I did at work was trying the tethering script found here:
    hxxp://forums.remote-exploit.org/backtrack-4-pre-final/25337-iphone-tethering-backtrack.html

I tried it. It didn't work after chaing a few settings so I removed the script (Using the option provided)

After coming home I cannot seem to go online. Is there something that i can do to reset the networking script? Or a command that can help me trouble shoot this problem? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by lewench View Post
    I've been using backtrack for the last couple of days, and I have run into a problem I really dodn't know how to fix

When starting backtrack I do:

#After boot
    startx
    /etc/init.d/networking start
    /etc/init.d/wicd start

#Then I start wicd

I haven't setup the services for boot yet as I have been customizing other things (And haven't learned how to yet). But today after going home (and wireless internet working at the job) I cannot seem to get on Wifi with backtrack. It trys to connect and says validating but I never get an IP.

The last thing I did at work was trying the tethering script found here:
    hxxp://forums.remote-exploit.org/backtrack-4-pre-final/25337-iphone-tethering-backtrack.html

I tried it. It didn't work after chaing a few settings so I removed the script (Using the option provided)

After coming home I cannot seem to go online. Is there something that i can do to reset the networking script? Or a command that can help me trouble shoot this problem? Thanks.
    Look at this old wiki page below and follow the advice to see if you can get your card up from the command line. Its for BT3 but the advice is still generally good (just use dhclient instead of dhcpcd). If you can get your wireless network card recognised you can use kismet to check that you can see your wireless network OK, and then you can connect via the commands on the page.

Howto: How to configure your Network Card - Offensive-security.com
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Thumbs up Wicd ; Network Manager

Thank you lewench,

I had Wicd and didn't knew how to start it.
    Now with your command :
    /etc/init.d/wicd start
    It starts.

And now I can have my local wired Network with static IP and my gateway perfectly configured as I like.

Hope after rebooting, I'll get it already like this by itself.

NjB

Just burned his ISO

I am still having this wicd/DHCP issue. I cannot seem to find an answer at all.

What I've tried:

• I have used rmmod and modprobe to remove the driver from memory, and load it again.
    • I have tried ifconfig down/up
    • The only success I have had is configuring the wireless device manually to my wep AP.
    • But again, when trying to connect through Wicd it will not obtain an ip address. It will only say validating but it will not connect.
    • I have also tried reinstalling Wicd, but that hasn't worked either.

Is there anything else that I can try? I know the driver works. I know the device is working and it connects only with a manually assinged settings. I just travel a lot and would like a working network manager.

My last resort it formatting my SD card and installing BT4 again. I know this will work because by default the wireless card was working. It was after trying to tether my iphone through bluetooth with the script giving my in OP did this start. Maybe I typed a command, or maybe it configured something, and when I removed it some stuff was left behind.

Please advise if there are anymore possible solutions. Thanks.

Red face wicd/DHCP issue

For me the problem is to get the IP I want and not the IP that is given to me after I reboot.

But anyway, I can go to Internet and that is the main thing.

I can change my local IP but after rebooting it comes back to what it want.

NjB

Quote Originally Posted by lewench View Post
    I am still having this wicd/DHCP issue. I cannot seem to find an answer at all.

What I've tried:

• I have used rmmod and modprobe to remove the driver from memory, and load it again.
    • I have tried ifconfig down/up
    • The only success I have had is configuring the wireless device manually to my wep AP.
    • But again, when trying to connect through Wicd it will not obtain an ip address. It will only say validating but it will not connect.
    • I have also tried reinstalling Wicd, but that hasn't worked either.

Is there anything else that I can try? I know the driver works. I know the device is working and it connects only with a manually assinged settings. I just travel a lot and would like a working network manager.

My last resort it formatting my SD card and installing BT4 again. I know this will work because by default the wireless card was working. It was after trying to tether my iphone through bluetooth with the script giving my in OP did this start. Maybe I typed a command, or maybe it configured something, and when I removed it some stuff was left behind.

Please advise if there are anymore possible solutions. Thanks.
    Are you sure that you are configuring Wicd correctly, and starting up the network services using /etc/init.d/networking start? Are you entering the WEP key in the right format in Wicd for example? If the connection works when you do it manually a Wicd configuration problem would seem to be the likely cause.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.