Thread: Proxim ORiNOCO Gold 8470-WD, Ath5k, Wicd and WPA2 PSK Issues

Just burned his ISO

Default Proxim ORiNOCO Gold 8470-WD, Ath5k, Wicd and WPA2 PSK Issues

I've observed some odd behavior with interaction between an ORiNOCO Gold 8470-WD, the Ath5k drivers with mac80211, Wicd and a WPA2 PSK access point (AES-CCM). I'm using the BT4 Pre-Final Live DVD -- updated per the Blog article. After some experimentation . . .

• The Ath5k drivers load and the card is recognized as expected; using iwconfig:
      • wmaster0 shows up as expected
      • wlan0 also shows up as expected

• Using dmesg: wmaster0, phy0 and wlan0 all show up as expected
    • Both Airmon-ng and Kismet function using wlan0
    • Wicd also recognizes the card, displays a "site survey" of local access points and allows configuring for connection to a WPA2 PSK AP (mine).
    • When configured to use the wext supplicant, the wlan0 interface, and the AP's PSK is plugged in, it will connect and associate with the WPA2 AP. However, that's all it will do . . . successfully connect and associate with the AP . . . including receiving an IP address from the DHCP in the AP.
    • Attempts to use any of the browsers goes absolutely nowhere. Nothing but eventual time-out errors citing the page(s) cannot be loaded . . . no web sites or web pages . . . not even if I use a numeric IP address . . . or force dhclient or dhcpd in Wicd's configuration.
    • Efforts to use any of the other supplicants go nowhere; won't even connect/associate.
    • However, if I then use a different WPA PSK AP (also mine) running AES-CCM (only; no TKIP allowed), it not only connects/associates properly, all the browsers work . . . and I can surf the internet without any problem.
    • It appears the issue is rooted somewhere in the wext supplicant as it interacts with the Ath5k mac80211 stack drivers.

After experiencing all these problems with the ath5k drivers, I created another Live DVD, updated it, and added the madwifi-ng Atheros drivers (per the Blog) which use an ieee80211 stack.

• This also works as expected with Kismet.
    • In addition, Wicd also works with same WPA2 and WPA PSK APs using AES-CCM . . . and the same exact PSKs for each AP.
    • It appears there is no interaction problem between the wext supplicant, Wicd and the madwifi-ng Atheros ieee80211 stack drivers. I can surf the internet without any problem (unlike the puzzling trouble with the Ath5k mac80211 stack drivers).
    • No special changes to the Wicd configuration are required (defaults including wext supplicant work).

If I'm doing something wrong here . . . please point me in the right direction. I've pored through this site, Aircrack-ng's site, and used Google to try to find out why the ieee80211 stack in the madwifi-ng drivers works with WPA2 PSK in Wicd, but the mac80211 stack in the Ath5k drivers does not work with WPA2 PSK in Wicd. Very puzzling . . . as Kismet works with either.

I've posted this in the "Software Related" instead of the "Hardware Related" as I don't believe the ORiNOCO 8470-WD is the problem.
    John

Never do double post, and read rules from time to time. . .
    :cool:
    Alienware M17x - Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme QX9300
    Dual Nvidia GeForce GTX 280M GPUs
    8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
    Dual 500GB

Just burned his ISO

Double post??? Where? Just did a look for all my posts. If it is posted elswhere, it was unintentional.
    John