Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can I put the .iso file on hard drive, and will it boot? Or .iso files to hard drive?

Quote Originally Posted by athacks View Post
    Cant you install it on hdd and have changes ?
    You didn't read the whole thread did you? The OP IS trying to install to their hard drive, but they have to go about it in a round about way because they don't have a DVD drive in the target system and it wont boot from USB.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

If he has windows the edit the boot loader to boot from the usb (since its a disk)... ????

(No I dint read the whole thread XD)
    :cool:
    Alienware M17x - Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme QX9300
    Dual Nvidia GeForce GTX 280M GPUs
    8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
    Dual 500GB

If he has windows the edit the boot loader to boot from the usb (since its a disk)... ????

(No I dint read the whole thread XD)
    The BIOS is actually what controls what hardware devices can be used to boot a computer. It controls the boot process immediately after the computer starts, and then passes off control to the next device (usb drive, cd, hard drive, etc ) as configured in the CMOS. So if your BIOS doesnt support booting from USB, you usually can't do it.

It might be possible in theory to use a hard drive based boot loader to load a Linux kernel from a USB drive, but this is not something that automated tools usually do, so your probably have to do some custom modification of the boot loader configuration yourself. I wouldn't recommend this approach for a beginner.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Yeeshkull

Quote Originally Posted by rowebil View Post
    I have a laptop that doesn't boot ffrom USB nor has a DVD drive.
    So, I used unebootin to put on USB, then I put those files on my hard drive.
    I boot from BT3 live cd, then put in USB and cleared my hard drive, and put the files from USB to hard drive.
    -/dev/hda1
    boot/
    casper/
    documents/
    boot.catalog
    ldlinux
    md5sum
    syslinux
    ubnfilel
    ubninit
    ubnkem
    ubnpathl.txt
    vesamenu.c32

Those are on my hard drive.
    Will that boot up?
    Or can I take the -
    Code:
    /boot/
    /casper/
    boot.catalog
    files and folders, and put them on a hard drive? Those are from the .iso file.

Or can I take the plain .iso file, and transfer it to the hard drive, then boot?

Which one can I do?

Please help, thanks
    Vmware may be an option for your situation. Good luck

LOL, not exactly, just press "F2" or in some "delete" at startup to enter your BIOS, go to boot, and depending on your type of PC choose the boot order by using "F5/F6", remember to put the USB BEFORE TURNING ON THE PC, and make sure its the one at top of everything, if I had your PC's model I could get you a video or a tutorial :P

Or send it to me and ill do it, but dont you think I will go Boom Boom Pwn by paying the Shipping & Handeling.
    8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
    Dual 500GB

LOL, not exactly, just press "F2" or in some "delete" at startup to enter your BIOS, go to boot, and depending on your type of PC choose the boot order by using "F5/F6", remember to put the USB BEFORE TURNING ON THE PC, and make sure its the one at top of everything, if I had your PC's model I could get you a video or a tutorial :P

Or send it to me and ill do it, but dont you think I will go Boom Boom Pwn by paying the Shipping & Handeling.
    What do you mean not exactly? Is there some part of my explanation of the boot process that you think is wrong? Feel free to provide a correction...

And why the lesson on how to boot a PC from a USB device? Did you notice that the OP said that his PC doesn't support booting from USB in the very first post in this thread, and that I mentioned this again in post 21? You do know that there are PCs that don't support USB booting right?

Just burned his ISO

lupin understand's

Yes, my old laptop will not boot from USB.

I gave up on this project a long time ago, but now I want to do it again.
    I feel confident.

The shitty laptop I wanna put BT4 on is a
    IBM Thinkpad 600E

Any way's I can put BT4 on the hard drive without a CD/DVD or booting from USB?

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Citruspers View Post
    Then the question is: where did that space come from?
    Could it be temporary files, like a swap space on the same partition?

Or is something that's mounted causing a big loop of data?

I think it was something that is mounted.
    I thought of the same thing recently

I probably have the USB drive mounted two places, and it's looping like 4 times.

btw remember to make the usb bootable XD
    I ment by not being abled to boot USB is that (i read the whole post) some (SOME) people simply say it doesnt boot the USB, but sometimes the boots orders are :

Floppy
    CD/DVD
    HDD
    Network
    USB (Last)

So it might be it :P

(BTW: I read over google it does boot USBs 7-7)
    8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
    Dual 500GB

(BTW: I read over google it does boot USBs 7-7)
    Are you saying that this system DOES boot from USB? Care to provide a link to the location where you read that? These links below seem to indicate that its doesnt:

IBM Thinkpad 600 Boot Problems - TweakTown Forums
    Arch Linux Forums / Boot from USB-stick on old thinkpad?

@rowebil

This (link below) claims to offer the ability to boot from USB on systems whose BIOS does not support this.
    PLoP - Bootmanager - Free Boot Manager, builtin usb driver, native usb, boot different operating systems, cdrom, usb, freeware, option rom bios

This post at their forum indicates that someone was able to use it to boot from USB on a IBM Thinkpad 600
    PLoP Boot Manager test on IBM Thinkpad 600 and IBM Thinkpad T20

I dont know how it works, or if it will work for you but you may want to have a look at it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast