Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can I put the .iso file on hard drive, and will it boot? Or .iso files to hard drive?

Just burned his ISO

Okay, I know what you are telling me, and it seems like a good plan.
    Roughly taking some hours, but it's fine.

At the end of your post
    If you have another system that can boot BT4 prefinal, you can use that system to extract the contents of the squash fs filesystem to a removable USB device, then mount that USB device on your target system, boot from a Linux CD and partition the target hard drive, copy the BackTrack 4 prefinal system files over (and create the /dev directory), and install a bootloader.
    Can I install BT4 on another computer, example installing on "billypc", then taking the files from "billypc" and putting them on a USB to copy them over?

Or will it be easier to boot from a USB, somehow extract the contents of squashfs, then put them on USB? I think it will be easier this way, because I don't need to install BT4.

OR, can I put the usb live in, go to / and then copy all those files and folders over to my USB?
    What would I do? 1,2, or 3?

Quote Originally Posted by rowebil View Post
    Okay, I know what you are telling me, and it seems like a good plan.
    Roughly taking some hours, but it's fine.

At the end of your post

Can I install BT4 on another computer, example installing on "billypc", then taking the files from "billypc" and putting them on a USB to copy them over?

Or will it be easier to boot from a USB, somehow extract the contents of squashfs, then put them on USB? I think it will be easier this way, because I don't need to install BT4.

OR, can I put the usb live in, go to / and then copy all those files and folders over to my USB?
    What would I do? 1,2, or 3?
    Actually, now I think of it, if you have another system that can boot BT4 prefinal, the easiest way would be to boot that system using the BT4 DVD, copy the system files from the running system to the USB drive, then use those files as your installation source. This way you wont need to extract the squashfs image, you can copy the needed files from "/" in the running file system.

Then just boot your target PC from a Linux CD, mount the USB drive with the copied system files, and copy them over as per the BT4 Beta install guide.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Perfect. Thank you so much.

I know I may be bothering but I really want BT4.

So, just put the USB in the other system, then do I go to "/", then copy everything from the install to the USB then basically install it via the guide?

Another question, go to youtube, search
    backtrack 3 install gregorpm
    Can I use that video to isntall BT4? I used it to install BT3.

The guide has 3 partitions, which will get me very confused. I want to make sure that the guide does not do something different than the video.

I've used the install by muts and it works every time. Slapped the HDD in the lappy and away she went. Done. You cant do that with XP. In fact, I've done it many times at this point. Works every time. Thanks muts.
    <EeePc 1000HA BT4/W7 USB boot Alfa500 GPS BlueTooth>

So, just put the USB in the other system, then do I go to "/", then copy everything from the install to the USB then basically install it via the guide?
    The BT4 Beta install guide has a cp command that copies a selection of directories and their contents to another location. Use a modified version of that command to copy the files from the BT4 Prefinal system to the USB. The source will be the same and the destination (possibly) different depending on where your USB drive is mounted.

Then you will essentially be following the BT4 Beta install guide on your target system, but you may need to modify certain steps to account for the source being the USB drive and not the live system you have booted from. I would suggest that you try and understand whats being done with each command before you try this. Read man pages, test out commands and refer to other installation guides to work this out if you need to. You wont be able to follow the guide unmodified, you will need to be able to work out when you need to change or leave out a command.

Another question, go to youtube, search
    Can I use that video to isntall BT4? I used it to install BT3.

The guide has 3 partitions, which will get me very confused. I want to make sure that the guide does not do something different than the video.
    I don't have access to youtube here, but if the video helps you understand what you're doing that's fine. Just remember that unless someone out there has written a guide you can find that does specifically what you want, you wont be able to follow the guide step by step, you will need to do certain things differently.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Yea, the cp command cp --preserve -R /{etc,..} thats what I'll get stuck on.
    I tihnk I have it under control.

I'm not putting it on my laptop. It's 11GB, and yes pathetic, but my hard drive is like 6GB.

Should it be 11GB? All the folders are 11GB.

Backtrack 3 isn't even near 3 GB.

What am I doin wrong? Am I copying my usb contents or something?
    Or is 11 GB right?

Is the installation supposed to be 11Gb?
    I copied the files over, and it totaled 12Gb.

Backtrack 3 isn't even all that.

Should it be 11GB? All the folders are 11GB.
    I have a copy of the BT4 Prefinal system files on my laptop from when I created a custom USB version. The files are 3.8 GB in size, which includes the base BT4 Prefinal system files, plus some additional applications I installed (probably a few 100 Megs worth). So no, it probably shouldn't be 11GB.

Then the question is: where did that space come from?
    Could it be temporary files, like a swap space on the same partition?

Or is something that's mounted causing a big loop of data?

Quote Originally Posted by Citruspers View Post
    Then the question is: where did that space come from?
    Could it be temporary files, like a swap space on the same partition?

Or is something that's mounted causing a big loop of data?
    That is the question. A bit more than 6 GB of extra files is a hell of a lot though. Maybe its also copying the contents of the virtual devices from /dev? (Although that could generate potentially limitless data if you grabbed /dev/zero or /dev/random)

It might be better to extract from the squashfs image instead.

Cant you install it on hdd and have changes ?
    :cool:
    Alienware M17x - Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme QX9300
    Dual Nvidia GeForce GTX 280M GPUs
    8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
    Dual 500GB

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast