Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I put the .iso file on hard drive, and will it boot? Or .iso files to hard drive?

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Can I put the .iso file on hard drive, and will it boot? Or .iso files to hard drive?

I have a laptop that doesn't boot ffrom USB nor has a DVD drive.
    So, I used unebootin to put on USB, then I put those files on my hard drive.
    I boot from BT3 live cd, then put in USB and cleared my hard drive, and put the files from USB to hard drive.
    -/dev/hda1
    boot/
    casper/
    documents/
    boot.catalog
    ldlinux
    md5sum
    syslinux
    ubnfilel
    ubninit
    ubnkem
    ubnpathl.txt
    vesamenu.c32

Those are on my hard drive.
    Will that boot up?
    Or can I take the -
    Code:
    /boot/
    /casper/
    boot.catalog
    files and folders, and put them on a hard drive? Those are from the .iso file.

Or can I take the plain .iso file, and transfer it to the hard drive, then boot?

Which one can I do?

Please help, thanks

Just burned his ISO

you need to set the mbr on the hdd to boot the files you copied
    look for tutorials on grub they should point you in the right direction

Just burned his ISO

I don't have any other OS on the hard drive.

Can you find a tutorial on grub for me? I don't know what I'm looking for.
    What should I google?

EDIT:
    I actually went into that file an hour ago, but I don't know what to change.

Just burned his ISO

Since your booting from the live usb you should have access to the install.sh on your desktop which will install bt4 and set the mbr for you

Just burned his ISO

I'm not booting from the USB. My bios won't allow that. So, im basically trying to boot the live cd off the hard drive to access install.sh.

I'm not booting from the USB. My bios won't allow that. So, im basically trying to boot the live cd off the hard drive to access install.sh.

EDIT:
    Do you think I can use unetbootin, like the tutorial on here was used on XP?
    I can put unebooting, and the .iso file on my USB. Then boot up live cd bt3, then open unetbootin, select my .iso file, then select my hard drive?

Sorry for double posting.

Just burned his ISO

yeah ignore that.

stumped for the moment..

your method should work in theory.... just try it... you cant trash the drive since there is nothing to trash.

Yeeshkull

Quote Originally Posted by rowebil View Post
    I have a laptop that doesn't boot ffrom USB nor has a DVD drive.
    So, I used unebootin to put on USB, then I put those files on my hard drive.
    I boot from BT3 live cd, then put in USB and cleared my hard drive, and put the files from USB to hard drive.
    -/dev/hda1
    boot/
    casper/
    documents/
    boot.catalog
    ldlinux
    md5sum
    syslinux
    ubnfilel
    ubninit
    ubnkem
    ubnpathl.txt
    vesamenu.c32

Those are on my hard drive.
    Will that boot up?
    Or can I take the -
    Code:
    /boot/
    /casper/
    boot.catalog
    files and folders, and put them on a hard drive? Those are from the .iso file.

Or can I take the plain .iso file, and transfer it to the hard drive, then boot?

Which one can I do?

Please help, thanks
    Vmware may be an option for your situation. Good luck

LOL, not exactly, just press "F2" or in some "delete" at startup to enter your BIOS, go to boot, and depending on your type of PC choose the boot order by using "F5/F6", remember to put the USB BEFORE TURNING ON THE PC, and make sure its the one at top of everything, if I had your PC's model I could get you a video or a tutorial :P

Or send it to me and ill do it, but dont you think I will go Boom Boom Pwn by paying the Shipping & Handeling.
    :cool:
    Alienware M17x - Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme QX9300
    Dual Nvidia GeForce GTX 280M GPUs
    8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
    Dual 500GB

Quote Originally Posted by athacks View Post
    LOL, not exactly, just press "F2" or in some "delete" at startup to enter your BIOS, go to boot, and depending on your type of PC choose the boot order by using "F5/F6", remember to put the USB BEFORE TURNING ON THE PC, and make sure its the one at top of everything, if I had your PC's model I could get you a video or a tutorial :P

Or send it to me and ill do it, but dont you think I will go Boom Boom Pwn by paying the Shipping & Handeling.
    What do you mean not exactly? Is there some part of my explanation of the boot process that you think is wrong? Feel free to provide a correction...

And why the lesson on how to boot a PC from a USB device? Did you notice that the OP said that his PC doesn't support booting from USB in the very first post in this thread, and that I mentioned this again in post 21? You do know that there are PCs that don't support USB booting right?
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

lupin understand's

Yes, my old laptop will not boot from USB.

I gave up on this project a long time ago, but now I want to do it again.
    I feel confident.

The shitty laptop I wanna put BT4 on is a
    IBM Thinkpad 600E

Any way's I can put BT4 on the hard drive without a CD/DVD or booting from USB?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast