Thread: Mac80211 to ieee80211

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Mac80211 to ieee80211

Afternoon,
    I have installed Back|Track 4 PR on my EEE-PC1000 netbook on a Kingston 32G SDHC media card. I have an automated script that I made a couple of months ago that I am modifying now since I got back into Wireless auditing as my side job.

My problem:
    When using my script (Or even using the commands) I would get a max of 13-18 IV's per second (#'S)

I thought this was odd because when I had Aircrack-ng installed on my Ubuntu system I would get over 180 IVs. I talked with some great folks at Aircrack-ng and they suggested it "could" be a driver problem. To my understanding after some research Back|Track 4 PR uses mac80211 drivers. They suggested using IEEE80211 drivers instead and see if the results are the same.

IEEE80211 were the same drivers I was using when running Ubuntu couple of months ago. I would like to try these drivers and see if I am having the same issue or if the issues is resolved, and then try and figure out why this is happening.

I really have no idea how to change these drivers. I tried, "modprobe -r mac80211; modprobe ieee80211" but it gave me an error that Module ieee80211 was not found.

I think I would have to first download the drivers from the repository and then maybe use the command stated above. But I cannot seem to find the drivers in the repository

Can anyone guide me through this or maybe direct me in the right direction? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you in advanced.

Spec info
    Back|Track 4 PR
    Aircrack-ng 1.0 rc4 r1621
    EEE-PC1000 2G RAM
    Alfa AWUS036H (Atheros)

Don't get me wrong but I would hold on to my day job for now.
    Would be great if you'd posted the commands you're using (more likely to be the problem). Working with scripts has it's benefits but if you are unaware of the commands the script is running and what they do then you would benefit more if you key them in yourself each time. I'm saying this because there are many reasons that could be responsible for the low IV's number. And furthermore mac80211 (rtl8187) driver for the Alfa works just fine.
    You cannot just load the driver that isn't there. The ieee80211 (r8187) driver is available in the repo's (for BT4PF) and you can get it through apt-get (apt-get install r8187-drivers). Be sure to blacklist the rtl8187 driver in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist before.

And finally Alfa has a Realtek chipset, not Atheros.
    SecurityTube has two new sections. Questions & News

Just burned his ISO

Thanks a bunch. I was able to set the driver to the ieee80211 and I am now getting 300+ IVs using the same commands and script. Don't know why but I know its working correctly now.

Again thanks for the help.

Just burned his ISO

Hey there.
    First of all i'm pretty new to all of "this" (BT4PF, installing linux drivers/stacks, the remote-exploit forums, etc...).

I've installed kernel headers and created a symlink to the kernel headers:
    Code:
    apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
    ln -sf /usr/src/linux-headers-$(uname -r) /usr/src/linux
    Then i started airdriver-ng to install the ieee80211 stack.
    Following error message showed up:
    Code:
    airdriver-ng install_stack 0
    Stack "IEEE80211" specified for installation.
    Your current GCC version doesn't match the version your kernel was compiled with.
    The build modules will probably not load into the running kernel.
    1. Getting the source...OK
    2. No extraction needed.
    Directory "ieee80211" doesn't exist.
    Running "depmod -ae"...
    Failed to install the stack.
    Look through "/var/log/airdriver" for errors.
    My current gcc version can't be the problem, because it matches with the version the kernel was compiled with:
    Code:
    cat /proc/version
    Linux version 2.6.29.4 (root@bt) (gcc version 4.3.2 (Ubuntu 4.3.2-1ubuntu12) ) #1 SMP Thu Jun 18 10:57:32 EDT 2009
    Any ideas how to install the ieee80211 stack? I want to use it in combination with madwifi-ng drivers.

Thanks for your help!