Thread: Can't connect to the internet (even unsecured)

Just burned his ISO

Default Can't connect to the internet (even unsecured)

Hi,

I searched the forum and read different posts, but I couldn't find a solution that worked for me. Here is my situation.

I have BT4 installed on 8GB SD card. Persistent is working as I can save a file/setting. I made this SD Card using a USB BT4's installation module. The weird thing is that when I use the USB BT4, I can just enable network and then connect to the internet through wicd just fine. But, when I boot from the SD Card, I can't connect to the internet for some reason. I believe the driver is working just fine because I can put it into monitor mode and use airodump to detect networks. I manually restarted the device through ifconfig to see if that could help, but nothing. I made sure to start network, and I went to wicd, and it shows available networks, but I just can't connect, not even to an unsecured network (it just keep going "obtaining IP" and stops saying "Not Connected"). I'm confused why the USB one works and not the SDC one... Can someone help me?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenTequila View Post
    Hi,

I searched the forum and read different posts, but I couldn't find a solution that worked for me. Here is my situation.

I have BT4 installed on 8GB SD card. Persistent is working as I can save a file/setting. I made this SD Card using a USB BT4's installation module. The weird thing is that when I use the USB BT4, I can just enable network and then connect to the internet through wicd just fine. But, when I boot from the SD Card, I can't connect to the internet for some reason. I believe the driver is working just fine because I can put it into monitor mode and use airodump to detect networks. I manually restarted the device through ifconfig to see if that could help, but nothing. I made sure to start network, and I went to wicd, and it shows available networks, but I just can't connect, not even to an unsecured network (it just keep going "obtaining IP" and stops saying "Not Connected"). I'm confused why the USB one works and not the SDC one... Can someone help me?
    Some info on your card would be nice.
    Actually it would be really helpful.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

It is Atheros AR9285 wifi card

I apologize for not mentioning my wifi card first, but I didn't think to do so because it was clearly not the wifi card issue. The USB BT4 runs the internet just fine. The SD Card, which I made from that very same USB BT4's installer doesn't. That tells me that the issue is something that's different between the two.

The only difference I know between the two BT4s are: I made the USB one manually following Offensive Security's video tutorial, and I made the SD Card one using the BT4's installer (guided full install).

Thank you for taking your time to help me.

Keep trying, I get this issue fomr time to time, thats why I like the older NEtMAnager, but nevermind, you just gotta keep trying, cause this happens to me a lot, even if I set a manual IP address XD.

Just try it again and again, if so with diferent AP, if still cant be done, then restart and re-try
    :cool:
    Alienware M17x - Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme QX9300
    Dual Nvidia GeForce GTX 280M GPUs
    8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
    Dual 500GB