Thread: Weird netbootin problem...

Just burned his ISO

Default Weird netbootin problem...

I've been using unetbootin for quite some time now and never had any problems like what's going on now. The problem I'm having is when I use unetbootin to make BackTrack boot off a usb everything goes fine loading the image onto the USB stick, then it comes time to reboot, so I reboot. This is when the problem starts. I choose to boot off usb drive within the bios (like i've always done) and the computer just locks up and becomes unresponsive. At this piont the only option I have is the power button. It does this on multiple laptops. I've tried using different usb sticks, loading BackTrack via unetbootin on different computers, tried different Versions of BT (BT3, BT4-pre-release & BT4-pre-final), even reformatting the sticks to FAT and FAT32. I tried googling this problem with little results. I am out of ideas. Does anybody have any suggestions? Thank you.

BTW i'm using the windows version of unetbootin.

Just burned his ISO

Does a vinilla installation of ubuntu on the same laptop with the same stick?

Quote Originally Posted by giant22000 View Post
    I've been using unetbootin for quite some time now and never had any problems like what's going on now. The problem I'm having is when I use unetbootin to make BackTrack boot off a usb everything goes fine loading the image onto the USB stick, then it comes time to reboot, so I reboot. This is when the problem starts. I choose to boot off usb drive within the bios (like i've always done) and the computer just locks up and becomes unresponsive. At this piont the only option I have is the power button. It does this on multiple laptops. I've tried using different usb sticks, loading BackTrack via unetbootin on different computers, tried different Versions of BT (BT3, BT4-pre-release & BT4-pre-final), even reformatting the sticks to FAT and FAT32. I tried googling this problem with little results. I am out of ideas. Does anybody have any suggestions? Thank you.

BTW i'm using the windows version of unetbootin.
    If you happen to have a Linux host machine (even a LiveCD should work, e.g. PartedMagic), I'd highly recommend you pureh@te's tutorial covering persistent LiveUSB install over at OffSec. Unetbootin is kind of poor-man's USB install anyway - you'll much more fun and a better (persistent) setup when doing it the right way.

Just burned his ISO

So about that persistant setup. I get a message saying "failed to write 4092 bytes [sender] no space left of device

write failed on /mnt/sdc1/casper/filesystem.squashfs no space left"

Edit: Also it says "error in file IO (code 11)

connection unexpectedly closed"

Quote Originally Posted by ghostfox1 View Post
    So about that persistant setup. I get a message saying "failed to write 4092 bytes [sender] no space left of device

write failed on /mnt/sdc1/casper/filesystem.squashfs no space left"

Edit: Also it says "error in file IO (code 11)

connection unexpectedly closed"
    Umm, what size is the drive?

Just burned his ISO

I've think I found a pattern, but not sure why this is. I've used imageburn to write an image of windows 7 to a usb stick and this is when the problem starts to occur... Any ideas?