Thread: network doesn't work

Just burned his ISO

Default network doesn't work

Hello, i run backtrack v4 on virtualbox, and network doesnt work, look at this screen i29.tinypic.com/2mzcxnc.png. Can somebody help , i remember that backtrack v3 worked good, and had same problem with network on backtrack v4 beta..

why are you using bt4beta and not bt4pre-final?

why not give vmware a try?

Quote Originally Posted by rynio View Post
    Hello, i run backtrack v4 on virtualbox, and network doesnt work, look at this screen i29.tinypic.com/2mzcxnc.png. Can somebody help , i remember that backtrack v3 worked good, and had same problem with network on backtrack v4 beta..
    Are you using a usb wireless device or a ethernet device? iwconfig output would also help me to help you...

Quote Originally Posted by hatake_kakashi View Post
    why are you using bt4beta and not bt4pre-final?
    "HAD same problem with network on backtrack v4 beta", doesn't means he's using bt4 beta.

why not give vmware a try?
    Vmware isn't free, i think...

EDIT: VMware player is free, but i don't believe that it has the same capabilities as vmware workstation.

Quote Originally Posted by Snayler View Post
    "HAD same problem with network on backtrack v4 beta", doesn't means he's using bt4 beta.
    Had the same problem on beta does not equate to backtrack4 pre-final, yes I know he didn't specify. There are huge differences between the beta and the pre-final. Yes there's lots of ambiguity there when one is trying to split hairs. Maybe he's referring to backtrack 3? Maybe he's referring to backtrack 2? Maybe he's referring to backtrack? the question is exactly which?

Quote Originally Posted by Snayler View Post
    Vmware isn't free, i think...

EDIT: VMware player is free, but i don't believe that it has the same capabilities as vmware workstation.
    vmware server is free vmware player is free. Those are pretty much what you needed to get in order to play with backtrack no? what more do you need? directx 9.0c support for client? paravirtual kernel support? support for wireless cards as bridged, host-only, NAT mode?

vmware workstation isn't free but virtualbox comes in two editions, open sourced edition and private use edition. The open sourced edition does not have usb support but the private use edition is just as good as vmware as it is prepackaged in binary only output format. Your beef was?

Last but not least, vmware has been used heavily throughout backtrack, most users here would most likely be using vmware rather than virtualbox because it gets discussed alot + its a popular product. The use of virtualbox has more or less become the topic of those who ARE able to know what they are doing with it. The same goes with other virtualisation products.

Hint: backtrack 3 came with vmware version.. wheres virtualbox?

Just burned his ISO

Smile solution

hi pals , there is a script that enable ur network card its in the /etc/init.d/start-network. just run that script in the command mode , u can also enable this script in the runlevel 3 mode before u type in startx so that network service start before ur g.u.i service [X11] , then check ur network with this command ifconfig if u see eth0 then it has detected ur network successfully , i use vmware server which is free and use the bridge mode to access net .

Had the same problem on beta does not equate to backtrack4 pre-final, yes I know he didn't specify. There are huge differences between the beta and the pre-final. Yes there's lots of ambiguity there when one is trying to split hairs. Maybe he's referring to backtrack 3? Maybe he's referring to backtrack 2? Maybe he's referring to backtrack? the question is exactly which?
    I think he's referring to bt4 pf, because of the print-screen.

vmware server is free vmware player is free. Those are pretty much what you needed to get in order to play with backtrack no? what more do you need? directx 9.0c support for client? paravirtual kernel support? support for wireless cards as bridged, host-only, NAT mode?

vmware workstation isn't free but virtualbox comes in two editions, open sourced edition and private use edition. The open sourced edition does not have usb support but the private use edition is just as good as vmware as it is prepackaged in binary only output format. Your beef was?

Last but not least, vmware has been used heavily throughout backtrack, most users here would most likely be using vmware rather than virtualbox because it gets discussed alot + its a popular product. The use of virtualbox has more or less become the topic of those who ARE able to know what they are doing with it. The same goes with other virtualisation products.

Hint: backtrack 3 came with vmware version.. wheres virtualbox?
    Well, i guess you're right... But i once tried virtualbox and i think it supported usb. As for vmware, i prefer workstation since i can install my own virtual machines instead of having to download pre-made vm images, but that's me. And if one will use vmware only to run backtrack, then yes, a free version would be recommended. Thanks for the info!

Since I see you're just a n00b, that doesnt use the search tools, this has been covered many times, I'll make a subsite with all these stupid questions, unless you have problems with your adapter.

Before typing "startx" type : "/etc/init.d/wicd start" then "startx".
    :cool:
    Alienware M17x - Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme QX9300
    Dual Nvidia GeForce GTX 280M GPUs
    8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
    Dual 500GB

First be clear in asking questions.a detail diagnostics and command output would help to sort out your problem.fact of matter if you talking about wired LAN then try with this
    ifconfig eth0
    if its showing any output well and fine you can up that
    else try with
    modprobe e100 or modprobe e1000
    if you talking about USB NIC then let us know the output from lsusb