Thread: BT3 starts in prompt mode

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default BT3 starts in prompt mode

ok so i formated and installed a fresh copy of xp pro on another pc i had laying around, the video controller driver did not install i have to download it, idk if it has to do with that, when i boot BT3 now and choose KDE video mode, it gives me an error saying i chose an undefined video mode, press esc to choose anotjer one or spacebar to continue, either way it ends up booting in prompt mode like ms-dos, it still works but i dont know how to crack wep since i cant open another shell.
    How can i fix this? Or is there any tut on how to crack wep on prompt mode?
    Ty

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

If you took the time to learn some basic linux your problem would solve itself.

But... to answer your prompt question... login to your prompt, then type Alt+F3. Then type Alt+F1

Also have you tried startx?
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

Just burned his ISO

did you say "type" Atl+F3?, both of them come back "command not found", if pressed it just logs you out.

Starx says:
    Fatal error server
    No screens found
    Xinit: connection reset by peer (errno 104): unable to connect to X server
    Xinit: no such process (errno 3): server error.

User interface shortcuts:
    CLI --> ctrl+alt+F1 (F2,F3....)
    GUI --> ctrl+alt+F7
    [COLOR="RoyalBlue"][SIZE="2"]Nought's had, all's spent, ... Where our desire is got without content
    [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ironchef305 View Post
    did you say "type" Atl+F3?, both of them come back "command not found", if pressed it just logs you out.
    Yes, yes I did. And it shouldn't have logged you out, it should have swapped you to a virtual console (and then back to your original session truth be told). That's why I wanted you logged in on the Alt+F1 console so you could see that when you swapped between the two.

You can also do what the... yeah I can't type his name... the dude above me said and use Ctrl+Alt+F1 etc., but I only use those when I am swapping from GUI to CLI, so pressing Alt+F1 (as in press and hold the Alt key, then hit the F1 a single time!) is enough.

By the way, it is easier to use kismet in console mode, airodump-ng doesn't deal well with 80x24 screens.
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

Just burned his ISO

ok one problem solved!! Ty
    Now i have another problem.
    Im doing a fragmentation attack and after i capture a large volume of data packets and try to run aircrack with this command:
    Aircrack-ng -b (bssid) capture*.cap
    It says killed
    This is after retrying aircrack a few times. In the past ive had the experience that if u dont have enough ivs to crack it the first time then u wont be able to crack it by retrying aircrack for that session.

ok for all of you that might encounter this last problem, it is due to running low on RAM...