Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Netbook for Backtrack 4

i have an Asus 1005HA... most of my problems came with my lack of knowledge than the system itself... so finally getting it to work the way I wanted to was part of the fun and learning process... i think you should just research a bit about a particular system if it's remotely compatible... if it doesn't work out of the box then consider it your first trial that you need to overcome...
    Dum spiro spero

Lenovo Ideapad S10e

why ?

because i use it , baby
    www.myownremote.blogspot.com

Good friend of the forums spawn's Avatar

netbook is mini notebook ?

I have the Asus 1005. It works well. I would recommend it. The wireless driver isn't correct on it(from my experience), and the fix seems to break it more. Solution is to simply buy a $25 Gigabyte card(have to modify the inside of the netbook a little for it to fit.
    One of the main benefits of the asus over the acer is the asus can boot from it's flash drive. So you can buy a handful of usb flash cards and boot off them instead of having a lame usb thumb drive sticking out the side.

no such thing as the best netbook for backtrack. they should just about all work with the proper confuguration

Netbooks are underpowered laptops or very very expensive.

Make yourself a shortlist of the ones you like and can afford and look up their specifications with the manufacturer based on the model number

the specifuications will be all almost identical the main things you want to check are.

Can it support more than 1 gigabyte of ram 2 gigabytes is usually the maximum. you may want more ram later on. a gigabyte of ram just isn't enough for all the bells and whistles especialy considering it will probably be shared with your video card

Dose it have a long battery life battery life is important if your traveling with it.
    A six cell battery is better than a four cell battery and the batteries never last as long as advertised.

Is the internal wireless network card backtrack compatible? I can't say enough about how important this is. Check the hardware compatibility list at http://wiki.remote-exploit.org

Matte screen not glossy or you will be unable to read in bright sunlight. your screen will turn into a mirror outdoors in the sun if its glossy.

Screen size is also a really big deal a 7 inch screen is way too small for comfortable reading or web browsing. I personaly the smallest screen size I would consider is 10 inch

Hard drive vs ssd for storage ssd will get better battery life but their expensive and small
    the average hd size is 160 Gb for a netbook. and you probably will want that space if you want to do anything besides web usage.

Keyboard size is also a big issue if you don't have tiny hands a cramped keyboard will drive you insane...

my personal newbook pick was this one from

Acer 10.1" Aspire One AOD150-1920 Red Netbook PC with Intel Atom Processor N270, 160GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, 6-Cell Battery

wallmart.com has it for $323usd

good luck

Dlradlt
    Just cause I don't have ten thousand posts don't mean I'm a newbie or a Idiot ! :cool: The only dumb question is the one you don't ask Google first! ;) The biggest problem I had as a Linux newbie was I didn't know to ask Google the right questions!:eek:

Very good friend of the forum TAPE's Avatar

The matte screen as mentioned above is actually an excellent point..

I used to have an eeepc, 901m and that had the matte screen, however that died a death..

Replaced it with a Samsung N10 which is an awesome netbook, had some issued with BT3, but BT4 running beautifully.
    However this one does have a glossy screen which drives me nuts in bright light..

I just wasnt thinking about that when I was in the shop..

yo tengo una acer aspire one 150 y funciona todo exepto los botones de bajar el volumen pero todo lo demas creo que funciona no he inyectado trafico pero si puedo decir que mi propia contrase~a la consigio "arreglando el diccionario" a 9 min eso si la falta de procesadores para romper wpa2 la limita pero por todo lo demas todo bien

English translation

There will not be an English translation

Just burned his ISO

well i am using a Acer Aspire One and its amazing with
    Back track 4

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by floyd View Post
    I personally always bought IBM Thinkpad / Lenovo ThinkPad. I have two (T43p and T400) and on both injection works.
    Agree, I have a T42, too bad that Lenovo is making all the latest X6 and T6 models with Intel chipsets instead of Atheros...

Default RaLink

Quote Originally Posted by or4n9e View Post
    From my perspective it's harder to recommend a specific netbook but a wireless card the netbook should ship with. In general it should be possible to find out the appropriate tech spec information while searching the web. I'd go for an Atheros wireless chipset and avoid the Ralink ones. I myself have an Eee 901 running BT4pf and I'm so far pretty satisfied. The only change I introduced to the default offering was replacing the Ralink rt2860 Wireless N chipset with an Atheros mini-pci-e card with AR5007EG Wireless b/g chipset for 15 bucks from ebay. Besides the wireless chipset it's imho pretty much a matter of personal preference as most of the hardware (CPU, Chipset, Graphics) is anyway the same for most of the netbooks on the market.
    I'm running an acer aspire 4730z with ralink chipset and I've had no prbs with injection I did have to rewrite the wireless driver from a source code that I found but the legacy drivers from ralink web page work as well

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast