Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Netbook for Backtrack 4

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Best Netbook for Backtrack 4

I'm looking for the best/most compatible netbook for Backtrack 4 but the only thing i've been able to find is the Asus Eee 701 2G Surf for Backtrack 3. Hasn't there been a better netbook created since this one was released or is this still the best netbook for Backtrack 4?

Just burned his ISO

Thumbs down

I was just about to ask a similar question, "Which Netbooks come with cards/drivers that support Packet Injection?"

After browsing the forums here and on other sites, it's hard to pinpoint a netbook that has several people confirming that packet injection works. Also, one user pointed out that they might have weak TX power.

I'd like to buy with confidence, but it's hard to be sure which model is the best. There is a recent thread on the Asus 1005HA that is inconclusive, with some people saying it works and others saying it does not.

Thanks for any help or recommendations.

retailers are usually very vague in specifying what wirlesscards and chipsets they put in their machines. Usually it will just say something like "WiFi 802.11 b/g" the best thing to do is research a netbook, if it fits your requirments, email the retailer and ask... if all else fails buy a cheap USB card that supports injection!

Also using the search button helps.... if found that this topic has already been discussed in this forum, which may yield further results!
    hxxp://forums.remote-exploit.org/newbie-area/17458-netbook-netcard-dont-have-problem-monitor-packet-injection.html

From my perspective it's harder to recommend a specific netbook but a wireless card the netbook should ship with. In general it should be possible to find out the appropriate tech spec information while searching the web. I'd go for an Atheros wireless chipset and avoid the Ralink ones. I myself have an Eee 901 running BT4pf and I'm so far pretty satisfied. The only change I introduced to the default offering was replacing the Ralink rt2860 Wireless N chipset with an Atheros mini-pci-e card with AR5007EG Wireless b/g chipset for 15 bucks from ebay. Besides the wireless chipset it's imho pretty much a matter of personal preference as most of the hardware (CPU, Chipset, Graphics) is anyway the same for most of the netbooks on the market.

Just burned his ISO

I've seen a few posts about the Asus 1005HA working, but it seems inconclusive at this point, as others seemed to have trouble with it.

Just burned his ISO

Looking no further than Asus N10j-series (not the E) ...
    It comes with all things ready for BT4 .... including CUDA-based GPU (Nvidia 9300M GS) ...

It's the best netbook for gaming and hacking ....
    It ROCKS ...

I have the Asus 1005. It works well. I would recommend it. The wireless driver isn't correct on it(from my experience), and the fix seems to break it more. Solution is to simply buy a $25 Gigabyte card(have to modify the inside of the netbook a little for it to fit.
    One of the main benefits of the asus over the acer is the asus can boot from it's flash drive. So you can buy a handful of usb flash cards and boot off them instead of having a lame usb thumb drive sticking out the side.

Default RaLink

Quote Originally Posted by or4n9e View Post
    From my perspective it's harder to recommend a specific netbook but a wireless card the netbook should ship with. In general it should be possible to find out the appropriate tech spec information while searching the web. I'd go for an Atheros wireless chipset and avoid the Ralink ones. I myself have an Eee 901 running BT4pf and I'm so far pretty satisfied. The only change I introduced to the default offering was replacing the Ralink rt2860 Wireless N chipset with an Atheros mini-pci-e card with AR5007EG Wireless b/g chipset for 15 bucks from ebay. Besides the wireless chipset it's imho pretty much a matter of personal preference as most of the hardware (CPU, Chipset, Graphics) is anyway the same for most of the netbooks on the market.
    I'm running an acer aspire 4730z with ralink chipset and I've had no prbs with injection I did have to rewrite the wireless driver from a source code that I found but the legacy drivers from ralink web page work as well

I have used several, netbooks, notebooks and laptops and really have no preference beyond usual system specs (processor, RAM etc). I use BT4 on VMWARE workstation and for wireless I use Alfa 500mw usb adapter so never have any issues with drivers for the adapter. I've even found no problems going from XP to Windows 7 (never took to Vista at all).

i have an Asus 1005HA... most of my problems came with my lack of knowledge than the system itself... so finally getting it to work the way I wanted to was part of the fun and learning process... i think you should just research a bit about a particular system if it's remotely compatible... if it doesn't work out of the box then consider it your first trial that you need to overcome...
    Dum spiro spero

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast