Thread: Where is Windows?

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Where is Windows?

Hi,

I have seen this video tutorial of how to read out an XP password..
    htt p://blip. tv/file/2239210/ (look for spaces)

I use the backtrack pre 4 release per USB on my netbook (windows xp on harddrive)

the big problem is now, that i dont know where to find windows or the harddrive in general :/ all i can find is the usb stick with backtrack and some other things like photos on it...

thanks for help!

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Open up a terminal and type "mount". This will give you a list of the mounted partitions. Your MSWindows partition should be in that list, it will have been mounted somewhere beneath the "/mnt" folder.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

You should learn how to mount and manage your drives and partitions but there's also
    Konqueror > Storage Media > then hit F5
    SecurityTube has two new sections. Questions & News

Just burned his ISO

the 'Konqueror > Storage Media > then hit F5 ' way worked... but before i had to reboot a second time, because it said windows is still in use (???) well i just logged out to the backtrack textmode, typed startx again and it worked..

i tried the way with 'mount' before.. i didnt find anything.. finally found it under /media/disk/windows

Mount only tells you about mounted filesystems, and sometimes it misses ones mounted using the GUI.

A more reliable way to determine the device names of hard drives and their associated partitions in your system is to use either of the following

Code:
    cat /proc/partitions
    or

Code:
    fdisk -l
    Then one you know the device names you can mount the associated filesystems using the mount command so you can access them.

And I agree with #mfBaranian#, learning how to manage drives and partitions is a good idea if you want to be proficient at analysing Windows systems using a Backtrack Live CD.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.